Notices

...Constantly...

Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

...Constantly...

I'm an angry person. Maybe it's what i saw growing up. Watching my dad fly off the handle and put his fist through doors or his belt through me. I was never taught how to handle anger properly and how to communicate without yelling and throwing and making others and yourself feel like ****...

Or, maybe, that paragraph is a cop out. Did anyone ever have the "perfect" childhood? Isn't everyone "scarred" in one fashion or another? I can sit here and type and feel fine. But, ten minutes ago, My girlfriend and I had an arguement over the stupidest of things. I say we, but in all fairness and honesty, it was my fault.

God bless her, she has put up with way too much in the past year and a half. She has endured all the crap that is within me and still finds a space to love me...It's odd, I can say that about a few people but, here she is. Not truly happy with everything but, here.

A friends husband, who is a counselor, offered to talk with me @ a reduced price the other day...Monday, he will get a call frome. {they are both @ the lake this weekend or I would call now.}
Old 07-19-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and our mental health forum.

Emotions, especially anger, can be quite hard to deal with if we were not provided the tools when we were young. Have you considered anger managment classes? The therapy sounds like a great idea. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-19-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, fallennation,
And welcome to SR and the MH forum!

It's great that you've recognized a problem and are willing to work on it. It's the first step to overcoming that problem. I wish you the best. You can do this!

Please let us know how it goes. We care.

Shalom!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand your anger. I was not hit as a child but the mental abuse can be devastating as well. While we never get over it we learn to deal with it, maybe someday to forgive. I drowned my anger in a bottle. Sober today but leaning how to cope with anger long repressed. It is great that your girlfriend stays. Arguments can be over the craziest thing but often have an underlying factor. I wish you great luck with a counselor. I hope you find the coping skills you need. Recognizing you have a problem is always the first step in any recovery.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

I as well am learning to control that emotion. It is a hard one, but can be done. Congrats to you for recognizing it when you did and for your willingness to try to do something about it.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The thingis, I have known that this is a problem for a long time. I should have done something years ago. I'm almost thirty and I supoose now is as good as time as any to make changes. I'll keep posting and keep sharing. Thank you all for the kind words.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

I just started to get a grip on it this year . . . & I am almost 39. Don't lose hope.