Notices

Finally got the Wellbutrin...

Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally got the Wellbutrin...

I plan to start it after dinner tonight. Anyone have any odd experiences with their first few doses? Drowsiness, etc???
Old 07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take mine in the morning because it is energizing.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Yea, Lady,
You probably don't want to take wellbutrin at night! LOL!
Did you talk to your doc or pharmacist when you got the prescription?

Shalom!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, but I just wanted to get other's experiences
Old 07-12-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I never took Wellburtin, but took a whole bunch of other anti depressants/anti physchotics such as Seroquel, Prozac, Zoloft, Lamictal, Risperdal... others and I can't remember what they are, and they didn't help me..
Old 07-12-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, I have to take it at night... the good ole insurance does not cover the xr version, even in generic... (I think they pay about 50 cents or so on it) so I'm on the xl version, which has to be taken twice daily.

BTW, how quickly did you guys who did take it start to notice a change? My appetite seems to be different already.... although I guess that could all be in my head lol
Old 07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Your insurance has nothing at all to do with what time of day you take the prescription, Lady.
You do *not* have to take it at night.
Please do talk to your pharmacist.
XL has to be taken twice daily; at least 8 hours apart.
It can interfer with sleep with some people.

And your appitite could be changed already. LOL!
It is known for that.
But, even if it *is* the placebo effect -- for now -- accept it!

Shalom!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd pitch in Many people find Wellbutrin very activating, so it's not usually recommended if you suffer from anxiety. It may interfer with sleep.

I suffer from panic and depression, and took Wellby for several months during an alcohol-free phase. My pdoc also put me on a benzo for a few weeks to mask any initial discomfort. I found it to be very effective for both anxiety and depression. It revved me up in a pleasant way, and it actually eased my anxiety a lot.

150 XL twice a day might be too high a starting dose. I took 150 mg SR once a day for a few weeks, then ramped up to twice a day (keeping the 8 hour separation Historyteach mentions).

I quit taking it eventually because, after a while, my weight started dropping at an alarming rate. I lost 20 + lbs on it with no effort whatseover - that might be a good thing for some, but not for me...

Hope this helps!

BTW, I don't know what your DOC is, if any, but you should probably avoid alcohol altogether while you're on this med. My pdoc also had me quit all caffeine to avoid feeling too speedy, as in her experience those who suffered from unacceptable levels of anxiety while on Wellby were also heavy coffee drinkers. Apparently, in most cases, zapping the caffeine took care of that problem.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lol... 20+ pounds would be a drop in bucket for me! One reason I'm so depressed is because my weight is so far out of control... I'm a 25 year old female and, at 5ft2, I weigh 275.

So, tonight my hubby is out with the guys. As a food addict, my first thought was "oooohhh... a chance to pig out without him being there to see me!" So, I went to the store and spent 18 bucks on food that I intended to devour entirely by myself through the course of the evening...

And you know how much I've been able to eat of it??? Not even enough to make a dent in in (like, I could really go return most of it tomorrow because most of it was not even opened). I even wanted to overeat for some reason... don't ask me why, I don't know. But I actually found myself trying to overeat and failing miserably!!! What a weird feeling that was lol...

So I'm really praying that this will be the tool I need to get back to some sense of normalcy. Thanks for your support!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

How are u doing Lady? Was thinking about u and wondering how the new med. is going... Hugs to u