Notices

New bipolar meds?

Old 06-22-2003, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

New bipolar meds?

What are the new drugs out to treat bipolar? I am coming off my Remeron, doing it without a doctor because he closed my case for missing an appointment(shrinks have way more issues than we do!) :p When I get to a new doc want to be informed. And also if any would like to share their experiences with these new drugs? Thanks guys!

Many hugs and hope too,
Tammie
Old 06-25-2003, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'm on a drug called Lamictal, it's used to control seizures, but they are just in the processing of approveing it bi-polar, i have only been on it for 2 weeks, and i can tell you this much i do feel better on it than i did on my other medication, at one time or another i was on lithium,neurotin,celexa, zyprexa, trazadone, etc. finally i became toxic on the lithium ( on it for 4 years) you lithium level is supposed to be no higher than .05 the last time i put my self in detox my lithium level awas at 1.6, i will never go back on that, i dont care if it'[s the last thing they say will help, the new meds seem to control the mania better than anything else i have tried, my lst bout with mania was about 1week ago , even thru i felt jumpy and i was shakeing from the inside out, it was like no other mania experience i have ever had, i was able to control it this time, and usually my episodes last any where from 4 days to a week, this time it only lasted 2 days. talk to your doctor and see what he tells you, only they can tell you what is good for you.

good luck

Bernadette
Old 06-25-2003, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I'v e been on all the ones you menttioned except Lamictal. I have 2 nights of remeron left and I am worried I will feel bad coming off it. Thanks for the reply!!

Hugz,
Tammie
Old 06-25-2003, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey 2stop!
My husband is taking Trileptal. He has taken in the past Depakote. They are going to change him to Lithium next week after he completes some blood work.
The is a great website you can go to for more info:

www.psychiatry24x7.com

Hugs,
2many2count
Old 06-25-2003, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i suggest that you call and make an appoitnment before you finish all your meds, i stopped my meds on my own many times and i was ok for awhile, but eventually it will catch up to you. we usually stop taking them because we feel better and think that we no longer need medication, but i learned in a detox one time a councelor told me that the reason why we feel better is because the meds we are on are working. please, please make sure that you seek out someone before you finish your meds, many ofmy relapses have been due to the fact that i stopped my meds on my own.

Bernadette
Old 06-25-2003, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I am kinda having to stop the meds, the damned crazy shrink closed my case for missing one freakin appoinment! And today i get a bill for $35 for missing it!! He wasn't worth that much in person , let alone for missing out on his sarcastic and demeaning manner! Oh it just boils my blood how some shrinks are! I have been to many. I had one good one in TX and the rest...well, they were crazier and had more issues than the whole lot of us!! I'll be alright. I'll find another doc soon. Thanks for the replies!

Hugz,
Tammie