Vyvanse (ADHD Med)

Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
You enjoy what you are able to 'hear' of a conversation -
(while popping in and out)
and you wonder what you missed ....

and perhaps it could have been important?
Wow...I can totally relate to that. I still wonder sometimes if I actually do have ADHD but I do this popping in and out of conversations all the time. :bounce
Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Content with my past

My son has ADHD and he takes Adderall and when he is not on it he is all over the place. He has had this problem since grade school. I was against him being on meds back then but when he got into highschool, we put him on this and he has been doing better. He explains to me that when he doesn't have his med his mind is all over the place and when he is on it, he can focus on one thing at a time. What I see with him is when he is not on the med, he is real loud and annoying, cant get him to listen to me. Just wanted to share..............
Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
up and out

At 36 I was diagnosed with ADD (inattentive) and tried Adderall. Once Vyvanse became available in July of this year my doctor switched me to it. It is made by Shire, who are the same people who make Adderall. Shire's patent for Adderall runs out in a few years so this is their way of holding on to the ADHD/ADD market. Sorta seems cheap but Vyvanse is working better.

The basic difference in the chemical makeup is that Vyvanse is considered a "prodrug" because it has to be digested before you will begin to feel any effect from it. Addicts do not like it. The FDA has approved it for use in children, hence the dosages being 30mg, 50mg and 70mg. Something to note is that although it is very similar in makeup to Adderall, the dosages are aimed at children. For instance, 50mg of Vyvanse will not equate to 50mg of Adderall. Adderall is stronger but does not last as long. My doctor said dosages for adults will come later this year (higher mg doses or multi doses a day) and that it is going to replace Adderall for a lot of people.

My doctor started me on 50mg and i've got to say that I like it much more than Adderall. It lasts me about 6 hours (instead of the 12 that is advertised for children) and it is much smoother than Adderall for me. I find Adderall helpful, yet almost too much at once....even at lower doses. Having said this, the 70mg of Vyvanse was too much for me so i'm back at 50mg once daily.

With Vyvanse i'm much more focused for longer periods of time. In fact, i've got to be careful not to hyperfocus on things. Overall my qualify of life has improved and i'm still titrating the dosages to see what works best for me. I don't take it on the weekends unless i'm working on a project and I just cannot manage to get my head out of the clouds. Drymouth and appetite loss are two things I deal with. The weight loss has actually been good.

A few tips I could share for more effectiveness of Adderall and Vyvanse are: eat a good protein breakfast as it helps keep the medicine in your system longer, avoid citrus and acidic foods right after taking the pills because your body will not absorb the medicine as well. Iron supplements also have this effect so you should take those at night. Try to suck on hard candy instead of drinking a ton of water. Don't get me wrong....you should still drink your 8 oz daily but the drymouth will make you want to drink more. This will only flush the medicine out of your system sooner and put wear on your kidneys.

Many days when I was sort of hyperfocusing, I researched Vyvanse. I even caught the Shire rep in my doctor's waiting room and grilled him. He asked me out LMAO.

My doctor had a one month free trial offer that may still be available if you want to try it. It was definitely a "man, where has this been all my life" thing. Feeling more productive has helped boost my confidence as well. Anyway, I hope this has helped. Let me know how it works for you.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Wow, thanks for all the info. Interesting stuff.

I wish I would have had a "man, where has this been all my life" moment from this drug.

One benefit -- I'm calling it a benefit -- is that it seems to have taken away my appetite. I don't eat very often. Never breakfast (which is not a new thing by any means), 3 or 4 times a week I eat lunch ..... but usually I only eat a small dinner. I know it's not healthy but I'm losing weight. I'm going to talk to my pdoc today and I'll mention it.

P.S. Did you accept the date from the Shire rep?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
up and out

No, I didn't accept the date from the Shire rep. He was cute but I just wasn't that into him....LOL. Honestly, I knew more about Vyvanse than he did. That was not encouraging as pretty much everything I know I scoured from the internet, and of course personal experience.
I'm sure you've heard it a bizillion times.....you really need breakfast. But I totally understand not having an appetite in the AM. So you can try Slim Fast. You can try the powder or the cans. I prefer the powder b/c the cans taste like cans to me. I like the chocolate flavors and what I like to do is blend in some frozen yogurt or lite ice cream and its like having a milkshake for breakfast! The really cool thing about this is that you are covering breakfast and Slim Fast is packed with vitamins so you're getting that as well. Its also quick and you can sip it while you get dressed. You can also do that for lunch.

But yeah I know what you mean about the decreased appetite. B12 is also a big help. I like the sub lingual dots you put under your tongue. B12 is good for you in so many other ways besides energy. Its a good compliment to Vyvanse or Adderall. Anyway, the Slim Fast will get the nutrients into your body and sipping on the shakes is good when you feel you've gotta force yourself to eat.

How long have you been taking Vyvanse? What time of the day do you take it?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

HI ya... question about this vyvanse... my xabf... he would snort the aderall ... and the ritalin... for faster effect I guess... idk..... but is this able to be snorted? I'm curious with you calling it a "pro drug"......
Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Abundance: well, i suppose it could be snorted but I would take a guess that if your xabf was doing that with aderall and ritalin, he was abusing them. Of course, may be you already know that. Most AD/HD drugs have a high risk of dependency and/or addiction. I certainly wouldn't snort it......yuck!

I'm not sure what you mean exactly what you mean ...... I'm calling it a "pro drug" ...... may be I said that and I don't' remember but in my opinion: It is pro if you have AD/HD and it works for you. It's not pro if you are taking it when it's not been prescribed or you're taking it not as prescribed. I hope all that makes sense.

--------
B12: I'll do some reading on that.

I always take the vyvanse in the morning, never after 9 or 10am. I think I mentioned here ..... I've not noticed any wonderful effects from vyvanse. So, I saw the pdoc yesterday and she's switching me to Focalin. I'm not taking it right away. I'll wait a few weeks. I want to see if without the AD/HD meds, I'm able to sleep. I'm really struggling with that now. I didn't even mention the eating thing to her ....... now I'm scared to switch and gain weight. I'll just have to get over that though.

I've done the slim fast thing -- I think the one's in a can taste like a can too but I like them for convenience so I make sure it's really cold and drink it with a straw very quickly. But, I don't ever stick to anything so I don't do that any more. I just don't eat.

I talked to her about bipolar, which we've talked about before. I'm on the fence with that one too ...... I can relate to so much of it but a lot doesn't fit either. She's pretty convinced about the AD/HD and most days I am too. May be the Vyvance just didn't work for me. I'm sort of hoping when I start taking the Focalin, I'll be like "Holy cow!".
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
and you wonder what you missed ....

and perhaps it could have been important?
Do you often find yourself saying,

Wait, wait, wait, what, what did you say a few sentences ago?

or no I mean, wait, what are you saying or talking about?
no, I know, I mean, the other part.

My Mom frequently has to start her stories again and again and again...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
up and out

Abundance: here is something I found on CorePsychBlog about Vyvanse
Methamphetamine addicts don't like it: as measured, get this, on a "likability scale." Because it is a prodrug you can't snort, chew, or inject it. In research they injected 150mg IV into a meth addicts arm: their conclusion: this is not "likable" - no fun, no buzz. This is an excellent outcome, not previously reported with any stimulant.

Here is another piece of useful information:
Traditional ADHD medications have been easy to abuse and this has led to dependency problems. Vyvanse is a prodrug, a substance that is inert until it is digested. This mimics how the body creates useful chemical and vitamins from our food. As Vyvanse only acts as a stimulant once it is broken down by the stomach you cannot get a high from grinding it up and snorting it. Swallowing higher than prescribed doses (150mg compared to the recommend max of 70mg) will still produce a high indistinguishable from that produced by a comparable dose of Ritalin.

So basically he can snort it if he wants but he will not achieve the effect he is looking for.

Last edited by appleblaster; 01-16-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

well: I guess I was waaaay off on what I thought prodrug meant.

pffffft
Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

thank yuoui for this it's been fascinating.

if I'm gonna draw - i've got to have something.

wonder if it's cheaper than dextrostat?
(which meth addicts DO love)

but I didn't have those effects.
I could just create.
and finish.

and make $$$$$.
people don't want to pay yuou for unfinished work.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Appleblaster

Are these types of medicines able to be used on as "as needed basis"?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
up and out

Originally Posted by Abundance View Post

Are these types of medicines able to be used on as "as needed basis"?
Yes, they are. In fact I try to only take it during the week because I develop tolerance to it quickly. Therefore, by body gets a break from it and when Monday comes i'm ready. It actually makes me look forward to Mondays b/c I know i'll be getting a lot done. I look forward to the creative surge and the excellent focus ability. It seems i'm much more interested in everything when I take it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Apple - I'm calling my doc on Monday...
thanks for being so informative about your experience.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
up and out

Barb, I hope you have a good experience with it. Don't forget to ask if the free month trial offer is still available for you. It really helps that you can try it at no charge to see if its right for you. Keep us posted!