Notices

I dont really know

Old 06-09-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I dont really know

Im just new to the site, after being sober for a week. Its cannabis though that i always seem to end up falling back to and i find thats what always makes me go back out drinking, and behave exactly how i hate.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, i have tried meetings but i just struggle to open up properly as my previous experiences have not been to great. Hope everyone is well : )
Old 06-09-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Allyson2020x

I think a lot of us are a little ambivalent when we consider quitting weed - its easy to rationalise it's not as bad as booze or other drugs, but the bottom line was for me I destroyed my life and my relationships on weed.

I moved onto to heavier drinking but pot was syoll around when I could get it,
When I quit booze I knew I had to quit everything else as well. You can't be a little bit addicted - it was all interconnected for me.

There's what I hope are some helpful links at the top of the forum
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ful-links.html (Recovery Toolbox - helpful links)

- and you'll find support here for sure

D

Old 06-09-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am the exact same and thank you for your link.
I am sure that I will get there I need to have a lot more self control and nit give in at the first hurdle. I have tried a million times but it needs to be this time as I dont think I have another relapse in me.

And I can become addicted to anything that makes me feel good, absolutely anything
Old 06-09-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we can all identify with that.
If it helped I smoked weed for 30 years and drank fro 20 - I have 13 years sober now so anything is possible

D
Old 06-09-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I only tried hashish a couple of times driving a long way towhere it was grown.
They told me to watch out for the nature spirits as I drove home,
Didn't seem to effect me much so I stopped.
Just as well as I gave alcohol one hell of a bash.
A.A. meetings can vary quite a bit.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I have some bits and pieces to share.

There's a concept that I read about in a book on spirituality. The author talked about "abdicating our authority". What that means is to give up our authority or power to someone or something else. He said that we should be open to the guidance of a spiritual teacher, but should never hand over complete authority to them. Our spiritual journey is our own responsibility, it is our own path to follow. Putting our lives in the hands of someone else leads to spiritual infancy instead of growth.

I think this concept expands out into other facets of life as well. Our sobriety is our own responsibility. No counselor, meeting, book or external thing can be responsible for our sobriety. When we fall into this trap, we give up our power and decide that we cannot do this alone, that we must have some thing out there somewhere in order to get well. We can be open to the guidance and words of others, but we must always put ourselves in the drivers seat. It is not wrong to go to meetings, support groups/forums or counseling, but we should do so because we feel it is the right choice for us, not because we have been told that we won't get better otherwise. If these things are no longer serving us, then we should let them go and replace them with other things in our lives that feel valuable and meaningful.

Something interesting I thought about - it was easier for me to stop drinking than it was to stop other things, because I did not drink as often as I did some of my other destructive habits. Think about that - our addictions become powerful and overwhelming because we have dedicated enormous amounts of time to them. What else can we dedicate our time to? What else can we repeat every day? We have spent so much time watering the seeds of our suffering that they have grown out of control. It is never too late to start watering the seeds of the opposite of our suffering - compassion, forgiveness, understanding, patience... If we choose to practice these things daily, they will begin to grow and over the months and years they will become as powerful as our addictions once were.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Admiral
How is it going?
Old 06-15-2021, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I guess I have some bits and pieces to share.

There's a concept that I read about in a book on spirituality. The author talked about "abdicating our authority". What that means is to give up our authority or power to someone or something else. He said that we should be open to the guidance of a spiritual teacher, but should never hand over complete authority to them. Our spiritual journey is our own responsibility, it is our own path to follow. Putting our lives in the hands of someone else leads to spiritual infancy instead of growth.

I think this concept expands out into other facets of life as well. Our sobriety is our own responsibility. No counselor, meeting, book or external thing can be responsible for our sobriety. When we fall into this trap, we give up our power and decide that we cannot do this alone, that we must have some thing out there somewhere in order to get well. We can be open to the guidance and words of others, but we must always put ourselves in the drivers seat. It is not wrong to go to meetings, support groups/forums or counseling, but we should do so because we feel it is the right choice for us, not because we have been told that we won't get better otherwise. If these things are no longer serving us, then we should let them go and replace them with other things in our lives that feel valuable and meaningful.

Something interesting I thought about - it was easier for me to stop drinking than it was to stop other things, because I did not drink as often as I did some of my other destructive habits. Think about that - our addictions become powerful and overwhelming because we have dedicated enormous amounts of time to them. What else can we dedicate our time to? What else can we repeat every day? We have spent so much time watering the seeds of our suffering that they have grown out of control. It is never too late to start watering the seeds of the opposite of our suffering - compassion, forgiveness, understanding, patience... If we choose to practice these things daily, they will begin to grow and over the months and years they will become as powerful as our addictions once were.
Hello Admiral I need to speak to you.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alonzo
I haven't seen Admiral for a while.

A lot of people pass through this site.

D
Old 06-16-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Allyson2020x View Post
Im just new to the site, after being sober for a week. Its cannabis though that i always seem to end up falling back to and i find thats what always makes me go back out drinking, and behave exactly how i hate.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, i have tried meetings but i just struggle to open up properly as my previous experiences have not been to great. Hope everyone is well : )
I cant tell what can help you but I can tell what helped me.

I tried psycho therapy for several years and was a really slow process. Really. Its fast to get addicted and slow to get back to sobriety.

Everything changed since 2016 when I tried to invest more time on my spirituality. Nothing great, but I started to complain less, have more gratitude for being alive (seriously I was near to death so many times in the past) and try to see beyond my needings and my problems.

Well I'll not talk about my religion, what it is and what it done for me. But I can tell that when we use drugs our spiritual level becomes really low. The solution for me was increasing my spiritual level and everything followed that. That worked way better than anything else I tried in the past.

My life in the present isnt a paradise. I have some physical symptoms due to the years of using. I used marijuana for almost 20 years daily. That changed my body and my mind maybe definitely. Sometimes I get a little desperated because of that, but I can get back to my center again without using anything.

I recommend you to try something spiritual. Try to reconnect yourself, try to find balance and peace. You can use medications and therapy to help, but spirituality I guess is the main thing. Try to find something to practice and get involved that is really near to your home. I mean really close that you can walk there in minutes.

I hope that something I said here made a bit of sense to you. And I hope you never have to try again this bad feeling you mentioned when you smoke and get drunk. Sincerely I guess that person is not really you.

You can count on me.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Alonzo
I haven't seen Admiral for a while.

A lot of people pass through this site.

D
I understand. Thanks for your concern. I'll look for other solutions.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by alonzollamas View Post
I understand. Thanks for your concern. I'll look for other solutions.
I'm not trying to run you off or anything.
Admiral may not see your posts but even if not, there are a lot of smart helpful people here

D
Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Admiral may not see your posts but even if not, there are a lot of smart helpful people here

D
I meant that I'll look for another solutions not by contacting Admiral. I'm not running off.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

D
Since youre an admin, I'd like to know if its possible to change my username. That would be nice for me. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sure just send me a PM (private message) with say 2 alternatives, just in case your first choice is already taken

D
Old 06-21-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Allyson2020x View Post

I've been sober from alcohol both with and without relying on MJ.

I had almost 7 years.

I chose to allow MJ back in.

bad choice. still trying to leave it behind again..... life was (is) better without it.

My advice - leave it all and embrace sobriety from alcohol AND MJ/Other drugs.

Life of presence and gratitude and clarity is far better.