Notices

Terrifying Nightmares

Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Terrifying Nightmares

I quit smoking 7 days ago.
On the 3rd day, believe it or not, I got the genuine flu.
I am taking tamiflu and biaxin antibiotic.
Well, within the first 24 hours I was having the scariest nightmares. I have them every night since. I was dying and could see myself dead and it was all about me and death.
I'd wake up too scared to go back to sleep. They were so bad that I'd feel terrible during the daylight hours.
It helps to post it here, getting it out.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adore

Poor thing. That sounds so terrifying. I'm sure you are not going to suffer these every night. Don't think that, ok?

For me, getting any kind of new sickness, or infection, is connected to being afraid of my health being poor, and not knowing the limitations of the illness, and whether it will cause me irreparable harm or death. When I would get diagnosed with anything semi-serious (like a bacterial infection), it causes the biggest fear in me because I don't understand what's happening. Not understanding the limits of the infection and the body, can cause tremendous fear so u r totally justified...

Perhaps that's what's going on...?

Congratulations on quitting smoking - that is AWESOME.

It is a process of learning, WW. No need to fear.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi WW - scary dreams are so...scary! That feeling of being afraid to go back to sleep is just awful. I notice you are in the early days of quitting smoking - are you using the patch by any chance? If so, leaving it on at night can cause nightmares in some people. I used the patch when I first quit and couldn't leave it on at night due to nightmares. If that's not it, it could be your body adjusting to nicotine withdrawal and any fears you had around illness/death connected to your smoking could be coming forward in your dreams. You could also check with your pharmacist if this is one of the possible side effects of Biaxin and/or Tamiflu. I find it best to distract myself for a while after having a bad dream, either by watching some TV, reading for a while, etc.

Congratulations on making it through Hell Week - now onto Heck Week!

Hugs!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Thank you Adore and margo, I appreciate your insight.
Today is day 8 smoke free. I used the patch for a couple of days, then I got too sick with flu to use them.
I got to reading on nitmares and it seems they are associated with change in our lives.
I didn't have them for the last 2 nights. At least I can come here and post about it, and get concerned people to respond. Thanks again