Notices

My nightmare

Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My nightmare

I often have anxiety dreams like being lost and not being able to find the right train home. Coming off substances I have had paranoid nightmares too, no-one likes me and/or are hostile towards me.

Last night I was having very vivid powerful dreams along both these lines that seemd like a 5 hour dream and very real, at some point in the dream I was lost in a sort of weird duplicate of the world or other dimension and was utterly lost, not trying to find my way home because I had no home there, everyone else was wandering without aim too. I felt dispair and could sense it from the other lost people.
Eventually I realised I was dead and so was everyone else there, this was some kind of afterlife or limbo, I was upset that I had had no warning and this was it, dead.
The whole thing was so real at went on for what felt like hours.
I just wanted to tell someone about it, sorry if I bored you too much, I know hearing of someones dreams isn't always the most interesting thing lol.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't feel that you are boring anyone! It can feel very real sometimes and ven after a day or two that dream still sits in your head bothering you....getting it off your chest is the best thing to do!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dreams can be really scary sometimes.

It's also weird you said the dream felt like it lasted 5 hours. It probably only lasted a couple of minutes, even seconds; thats what i have heard. I don't know if it's true.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

@finally, yes it was still so strong in my mind I needed a good vent

@Liz, I am sure they never last as long as 5 hours, maybe 5 minutes is more like it but it sure felt like 5 hours.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have seen some really bad nightmares when I was drinking. Now I dream about happy things.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I often have anxiety dreams like being lost and not being able to find the right train home. Coming off substances I have had paranoid nightmares too, no-one likes me and/or are hostile towards me.

Last night I was having very vivid powerful dreams along both these lines that seemd like a 5 hour dream and very real, at some point in the dream I was lost in a sort of weird duplicate of the world or other dimension and was utterly lost, not trying to find my way home because I had no home there, everyone else was wandering without aim too. I felt dispair and could sense it from the other lost people.
Eventually I realised I was dead and so was everyone else there, this was some kind of afterlife or limbo, I was upset that I had had no warning and this was it, dead.
The whole thing was so real at went on for what felt like hours.
I just wanted to tell someone about it, sorry if I bored you too much, I know hearing of someones dreams isn't always the most interesting thing lol.
You should become the next David Lynch screenwriter and make some money outta your dreams!

But seriously,... I hope your next dream will be a better one.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Hush, I had another weird one the other night were I was insane, I felt insane and was going through all these situations that were out of control and I was trying to deal with them, but I couldn't because I was mad.
It went on for ages and when I woke up it took half the day to get over the dream.
My dreams can be so real and intense I wake up still feeling the emotions I had in the dream.
Now I am sober I remember my dreams less though.
I had a nice sexy one the other night though! Was the most action I have had for a looong time lol!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adore

Hi stone and everyone!

Stone, I was just going to post something today about this issue of anxiety filled dreams. I have a lot of them. Every single night almost (aaargh).

My dreams are usually like an action movie. It irritates me. It doesn't seem restful somehow.

Last night I had a dream about evading a bunch of criminals, in a long elaborate chase scene that I was watching. Very weird. I was watching some character run down flights of stairs, being chased, there was knives and flesh wounds involved.

Real nightmares.

I believe these anixety-ridden dreams are my mind's way of avoiding deeper emotional issues like sadness and disappointment. And they also reflect my worries about life.

Anybody have anxious dreams a lot or any ideas about why the dreams are so anxious? would appreciate hearing.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Adore, it can be a real pain can't it?
I have some very definite themes for the dreams like I mentioned, lost and can't find my way home, exams I haven't revised for, people being against me.
Just really obvious anxiety dreams that are always full technicolour productions. I am having less of them since I quit drinking though.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adore

Pain is an understatement, aint it..?

congrats on quitting, stone. GO YOU!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have had vivid dreams (mostly nightmares) for a long time. Many of my dreams are about relapsing and living that lifestyle again. Also dreams of my husband using. I don 't have any well researched information or advice to give you, only to let you know that you are obviously not alone in this.

My dreams seem to be more intense when I am going through a stressful situation or a life change. Many times the scariest ones are about some harm coming to my kids. This is my biggest fear. Usually after a dream like that, I can't go back to sleep. I get up and find something to do.

Combined with my diagnosed sleep disorders, my nights are long and dreaded. I generally feel exhausted all the time.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
owns a canyon diablo meteorite

Cool

i know what its like comming off of a hard nite of drinking. sometimes i think things move and have to look at them again. i usually have nitemares about dying. im deathly afariad of comming out of my body and floating around in the air. i need gravity!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

6 months sober here, and some of my dreams still make the book of Revelation easy to interpret.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Stone,
I know of a couple really good dream sites if you're interested. I'm very much into dream work. don't know if I can put in a link here, but if you PM me I'll be glad to give you the sites.
Leslie
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I remember back in the day how opiates would cause extreme nightmares.
Now, I can't stand the thought of taking something like a morphine drug. I had surgery a few years back and wouldn't take the prescribed med, I let my self suffer! That's how bad the nightmares were.
I am not a psychologist, but I believe those nightmares (of mine) were an accumulation of paranoia brought on by drug use in general, coupled with all the terrible fears I had at that time.
Sometimes I believe it's my mind warning me.

I have had those anxiety dreams you mention. I am lost, or I am running away from a huge dog that's ready to pounce on me. For me, it's a signal that there's something I am not wanting to deal with. I usually realize what it is in a few days after really thinking about it.
One time it was credit card debt that was overwhelming me. That was the huge dog!!
I do hope you get some good sound sleep.
Here's a prayer for you...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Iīve been reading this thread with interest. I think it makes a lot of sense that dreaming about feeling lost and running away from something is a signal that we are avoiding a real life confrontation. Like the credit card symbol. I can really relate to that, as spending became a problem for a while when I stopped using, and happens sometimes still.

I had a recurrent nightmare since I was fourteen that lasted until I was about thirty. In it, I was lead to the guillotine or a firing squad. I had no idea for what crime, and I kept telling the judge I was innocent. I looked at the audience at Place de la Concorde (where the guillotine was during the Revolution) and I saw my mother was watching.

One of my therapist told me that the crime symbolised unfulfilled ambition and the presence of my mother symbolised the expectation of the family. I sentenced myself to death because I didnīt use my talents. It made sense, because the nightmares stopped after I started my career.

I still get chills when I think about this nightmare, as it took days to get rid of the terror. I find it still strange because we have no death penalty here. I guess I didnīt feel I deserved to live because I was using.

Maybe being chased or feeling lost or being in a lateral world has a similar meaning? Maybe some kind of denial we have to face?

Love and light,
Old 05-15-2007, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i love a good dream scary or not.
creapy or wiered ...it don't matter you are lucky when you get a bad @$$ dream you can remember

some of these suckers are better than any movie i have ever seen.