Notices

Venting about not sleeping

Old 12-29-2006, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Save the Pars

Venting about not sleeping

I have just about accepted my insomnia but it still irks me. This week I am maybe sleeping four hours a night. If I am fortunate to sleep longer than that I wake up five to six times a night or more. People ask me " How can you do that? I could not function." Well I do function BECAUSE I HAVE TO!!! My docs know I am a recovering drunk, so they will not prescribe me anything. GGRRRRRRRRR
Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Frustrating for sure.

I know you've heard it before but it will get better. I was up like 36 times a night for the first 6-8 weeks.

Now I have no problems getting asleep and staying asleep through the night.

Melatonin sometimes helps. It's available OTC and is natural and non-addictive.

Good luck and keep well

Ron
Old 01-01-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi..Im with you.. very frustrating to say the least. It is my 1 month soberiety day today and I still wake up way too much during the night. Plus the dreams are outrageously vivid ..some good dreams and alot not good at all. I was taking Zopilcone to help me sleep but have given it up to get normal sleep patterns going. It is just amazing to me how many nights in my past were booze induced sleeps..not a lot of recall with dreams then either.
Something happened while getting my nails done the other day that was interesting. Usually I would fall asleep in the 2 hours it took to get my nails done. Well this time I was wide awake! So even tho I feel my sleep is horrible, I must be getting the kind of sleep I need without the booze.
No regrets for quitting the poison I put into my body.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do try the Melantonin. Also Valerian Root (if you don't have High Blood Pressure) and also Passion Flower. They are all natural and can very much help you sleep. I prefer Melantonin over the others.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate, when I first stopped drinking I went like a week without sleeping. Just tossed and turned and sweated all night long. Fortunately, it passed with time and sobriety.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yippeeeeeeee! finally sleeping!! without help from pills...
my sober 35th day.. Everyone is right ..it does pass...so happy. It makes a huge difference on my day in general when i am well rested ..
"this too shall pass" is a good quote.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DTM

No Sleep On Suboxone

HI. ANyone here have experience with suboxone for beginning the detox off of painkillers? I was taking 10 codiene/butabital pills a day and just went off of them one week ago. I am on suboxone in effort to help the withdrawl. They say you should be able to function "as you normally do" on suboxone.
Put it this way, I haven't slept in DAYS......I literally am up all night long and then I have tons of anxiety all day long and I still cannot sleep!

I tried benedryl last night since the dr. said it's ok to take that with suboxone. I don't know what to do. I know it's the withdrawl, but on suboxone you are not supposed to experience withdrawl. It's just hard.

Anyone with any experience or advice please help!