Notices

Second Year Reflections

Old 08-27-2005, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Until They Are Home..."

Smile Second Year Reflections

When John Paul The Great passed away this spring, his last will and testament was published. Though it was not the "normal" will and testament, I found it inspiring to read his yearly reflections on his life. He reflected on where he had been, and what his Creator's will for his life might be in the future. From this, I have been inspired to do the same.

My second year of sobriety has not been the way I pictured it at all. I was unemployed most of the year, doing work when I could find it. It was a hard year for feelings, emotions, and responsibility. I have learned much this year thanks to all of the wonderful people in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I changed sponsors twice this year. Once due to health issues with that sponsor, and the second time was due to a geographical move by them. It was hard changing the first time, as I had to learn to trust all over again. Trust is something I earn, but I learned it is also something that I must give until that trust is broken. I have been blessed to have trustworthy people in my life, teaching me how to give and receive trust. They valued the principals of AA enough not to betray that trust which helped me learn through their example, how to ensure the spiritual principals of AA are always in the forefront of my recovery.

I finished working the steps for the first time. What a relief! After a short break I realized that I have to continue to work on the steps no matter how many times I have completed them. You constantly remind me that this is a journey, not a destination. That holds much weight when it comes to the planned program of recovery. Through the steps I have found a bit of freedom from my own bondage. I welcome the challenge of walking that path again this year. I know from your experience that I will continue to find relief and more serenity. I also know that my Creator will continue to ensure my well being when becoming closer and learning more about our relationship.

Today readings in the meetings mean more. "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path...", "Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety...", "We will be amazed before we are half way through...". These and many other phrases that we hear daily have begun to have new life within me. I am seeing the depth and weight of each message that is held in these readings. Each of you have helped me realize that these are more than words, they are life itself. Without these words and many others, I would be without a map. Today, I need these directions. (You know how us men are when it comes to directions!) Today, my Creator has laid this wonderful road map in front of me as a gift to me.

The quote on the signature line at the bottom is from Herb Brooks. He was the head coach of the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team. They beat the Soviet Union and went on to win the gold medal for the first time in twenty years. He said, "Great moments are born from great opportunity." I have a great opportunity in the rooms of AA. I realize that all great moments have come from and are born from this great opportunity I was given on 28 August 2003. All the great moments in the future depend on how I handle the opportunity given to me today. So I must not stray from the path that those before me have made. It worked for them, and continues to work for me, one day at a time. Our opportunity lies within ourselves. We have all been given a chance to seize this opportunity which creates great moments for ourselves and others.

On the eve of my spiritual awakening, I must give thanks to my Creator and the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. With out both of them, I would still be drunk, or even dead. Through the love of you in the rooms, through your patience in teaching, sitting back and waiting through those "that's gonna hurt" moments so I can learn, I have come to love, trust, and most of all yearn for this thing called recovery. Although our Creator(s) are not visible as we see each other, He is visible through your thoughts, actions, and words. Each of you has and continues to emulate my Creator in ways that I cannot explain. The only analogy is getting that monkey off my back. All that weight is gone and I have had new life breathed into my mind, body, and soul.

My prayer for you is simple. It is a prayer of thanksgiving for each of you and your love for the program and other alcoholics.

"I pray that on the day of your death you are the same person your Creator intended you to be on the day of your birth."

Another year, many challenges. Another year ahead, many more challenges. As long as I have the rooms of AA and you, there is no reason to take a drink one day at a time.

GBU,
NC Thunder
(Mike)

--------
"Great Moments are born from great opportunity."
-- Herb Brooks
Head Coach - 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team