Notices

I am Grateful for My Misery

Old 12-21-2004, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face I am Grateful for My Misery

I don't want or mean to be patroising in any way so please accept my apologies if I offend you, but I feel misery is a powerful emotion that we should embrace with all our heart, and only then will we realise it's what makes us human, it's what makes elation so joyful, what makes us stronger. Everyone posts here saying 'help, I'm miserable' (I paraphrase massively, I know it's much more complicated than that) - but being miserable can be good!

I am grateful for my misery, I am grateful that I can walow in self-pity and know that I can and will eventually drag myself out of the slump and appreciate the wonders of life.

I am thankful that others have been miserable before me - without it most of the great literature as we know it would not have been even conceived let alone born into our world.

I am grateful that I can read a book or watch a movie or play and cry and cry and cry. I am grateful that I can pour my heart out to a pen and a piece of paper and it won't judge me. (And I know i can go back and laugh at it later when my perspective changes.)

I am thankful that I can feel hurt and pain for those who are suffering, that I am not a rock, that I feel healthy human emotions.

This Christmas is feeling pretty miserable at the moment, but I think that's traditional. So I'm laughing at my misery, and knowing I can wallow for a while longer yet...

I hope this makes sense! I hope you can embrace your misery too this festive season!

- Grincho x
Old 12-21-2004, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Princess

I can certainly empathise with what you say.

If feeling utterly miserable signifies the true "bottom", then surely we can be grateful for finding it.

Today I am hugely grateful for AA, the time which my sponsor has spent with me, for SR, for being sober and for whatever my HP has in store for me tomorrow.

I will not be miserable tomorrow for I have a programme of recovery which gives me hope.....one day at a time.

Rich
Old 12-21-2004, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
free1jer

The promises in the big book end with the statement "We suddenly realized that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves". Inversely I believe that God is not doing for me what I can do for myself, which is doing the things to stay sober (meetings, sponsor contact, service and general good for all. I understand today that if I do what I'm supposed to do God will take care of me." Misery is optional " :-)
Old 12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well said free1
Old 12-27-2004, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I do believe the thought of how miserable I was has kept my A$$ in the seats around the table for a little while now. I ever forget how I got in here, my next drunk isn't far behind

chris
Old 12-27-2004, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Free Spirit

((Newbie)) I have been completely sober for 13 days today (yay!) and it's like a weight has been lifted off me - I realised that the alcohol was making me really miserable and now I am just pragmatic. One more week and then I should be completely clear physically, just need to get my head around the coping mechanisms for the future after that. Just a question - has anyone had severe withdrawal symptoms this late after the last drink? Today it seemed to crash into me like that tsunami and I am wondering if it is this cold that I have contracted or if its withdrawals. All the same I am delighted to have found this group and hope to stay here for a long time if it's ok with y'all.