Notices

Attitude of Gratitude

Old 08-16-2004, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Castaway

Attitude of Gratitude

July 30, 2004 is my first day of sobriety. I'm thankful for my sobriety and for what the future holds for me.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sam082602

Sandy Marie, you have a wonderful attitude and congrats on your sobriety date. Want some more support, check out my website when you have time--please sign the guest book & be sure to give me a couple of suggestions for improving my site!! Thanks; and remember with your wonderful attitude, nothing will ever stand in your way!! Love, hugs, prayers, and support coming from me to you!! Love, Samantha

http://butterflysam082602.bravehost.com or if that doesn't work then try [email protected]

Old 08-17-2004, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sandy...

One day at a time...

It adds up...

Just keep coming back.. okay?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sandy,

Good on you. Do come back and tell us you're ok. We do care.

Deg.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

(((((((((((((Sandy)))))))))))))

Sobriety is a beautiful thing...((((Many people I have known would gasp in shock that I say that now!))) Good for you! Like they say..One day at atime...itr truly does get better.

(((((((warmest hugs)))))))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SW0_34674.jpg (7.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 08-17-2004, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Castaway

Today I'm grateful for new friends: Sam, Bikewench, Deg and 2stop
Thank you for welcoming me.
Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hugs back Sandy...

This forum is a gift from the All to me... the realest place on the earth... ;o)
Anytime I need a shot of support, or a bit of caring truth... I come here.

So glad you joined us.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Castaway

Today I'm grateful for 20 days of sobriety.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Castaway

Today is August 20, 2004
I'm an alcoholic for over 15 years. I need to post today because I've been basically hiding and avoiding major stresses until I could experience sobriety and focus on what I need to do to stay sober. I've been focusing on this for 22 days now. I remember that just before I found this site, I was doing a needlepoint butterfly. I chose the butterfly because it is a sign of resurrection and needlepoint relaxes me. The butterfly is only partially finished, because something stopped me and told me to enter sober recovery into the search engine on my computer. I've stayed with SR all this time, and the butterfly remains unfinished. However, I feel that SR has truly helped resurrect me from a wretched alcoholic life. Even though I've still much to learn, I've learned so much from reading all the stories on this site, posting, from reading books, and from analyzing different strategies. I realize I can't hide forever and I'm taking my first real step back into life now...without alcohol as a crutch. Even though my stresses are nothing compared to my friends' stresses, my stresses still give me compulsion to drink irresponsibly. I have a few basic tools to remain sober...the main one being to take baby steps every day.
My stresses are starting today. I'm moving 2 children off to college in two different cities. Then I start a Microbiology class at the local community college.
I know that if I don't stay focused on remaining sober, I will get swept up in all the stress and probably relapse. That is what this post is for. To remind me how I got this far and that I need to stay diligent about recovering every minute of the day.
As the ball of life starts rolling again for me, I plan to read this post at least once in the morning every day, to recite the Serenity prayer, and to remind myself of my primary goal...which is to stay sober.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sandy - You're an inspiration. It's great that you're hanging in there with such a great attitude. I don't remember clearly how I was at 20 days now - I think I was still driving home from work every night and sitting in the car in the pub carpark battling with the same decision...

You'll have plenty of time to finish the butterfly, time is the one big thing being sober gave me - time to spend with my children rather than be unconscious somewhere. Don't look back - and it's going to get much much better.

Great to hear from you,

Deg.

(sorry about the scary avatar - I will fix it !)
Old 08-20-2004, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 08-20-2004, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

((((((((((((Sandy)))))))))))))

Thankful you are here! (((((((((((Huge Hugs)))))))))))))))
Old 08-21-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Castaway

Today is August 21, 2004
I read my post today. Over the last few weeks, I own the fact that I have compulsive behavior and it's the source of my drinking. Over the last week or so, I would go to a high alert mode when I knew that I was going to be in situations where alcohol is present or when I'd be in stressful situations. This usually happens starting late afternoon until bedtime. This morning, I began to think that I shouldn't wait to put my armor on that late in the day. I think if I gear up first thing in the morning and start thinking baby steps at the beginning of the day, then I'll already be in the right frame of thought by late afternoon. If I practice controlling all of my compulsions throughout the day, then I'll be warmed up to control my drinking compulsions later in the day. I can incorporate this into my daily routine over the next week and see if this method works for me.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Castaway

Today is Monday August 23, 2004
I've been maintaining. Met with Microbiology class today. Have made many new peeps like me trying to get into nursing school next Fall. Taking smaller baby steps.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Castaway

Today was a wonderful day! Got loads of housework done.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Castaway

August 25th.
So today was good. Didn't have any cravings for alcohol...but made up for it by baking a batch of chocolate cookies.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Castaway

August 27th
I'm grateful that I don't use alcohol or drugs of any sort, except caffeine. My emotions run away with me still, but I owe that to not self-medicating myself.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey, Well done Sandy! I've got £10.00 on you to take a gold medal in the quitting olympics!

Deg.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Castaway

Thanks Deg,
I'm so used to having people betting against me. You made my day.

August 31st
I feel like I'm closer to getting centered overall. I hope this isn't just a passing feeling or moment in my life. I've had this feeling before and somehow lost it....it seems I can see the brass ring, I can feel the brass ring in my hand...and then it vanishes. I guess the best thing to do is just enjoy it while I've got it and not worry about tomorrow.

Okay so I'm back again today. I've accidentally developed another technique for avoiding alcohol. I think I'm starting to put myself into a trance. It's really wild. As soon as a craving surfaces, my mind immediately sets up a block by zeroing in on some incredible aspect of my life. I stay fixed for a bit and then relax. At the same time I'm in this trance, I've got sobriety in a stranglehold. I could be going crazy.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Gratitude

Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.

Author: Brian Tracey