Notices

Grateful for the Night Light

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Grateful for the Night Light

I know the title sounds silly. When I woke up this morning, I prayed extra for some reason, maybe because I have been forgetting to pray before getting out of bed, that my God use me as an instrument of its will and completely remove my own will -- doing that really seems to help me a ton! So I prayed extra this morning, and then I read page 260 in the Daily Reflections for today, "WE ASKED HIS PROTECTION." The passage is a good one, a perfect one for today, in fact, but the only line of it I'll talk about here tonight is the first one, which is "I could not manage my life alone." Bear with me, now, I am getting to the point of gratefulness! It struck me as the truest thing I have ever thought, "I could not manage my life alone!"

I started to think about how it is now, compared to how it was when I first got here seven months ago. Everything was upside-down. My problems seemed insurmountable. I really didn't think I'd ever get to a point of really being OK, let alone good, and fantastic? No way, impossible. Seriously, no way. I thought for some reason, about resumes, jobs, the process of obtaining things in general, and thought to myself that we should be allowed to put down things on our resumes such as "maintains a household," or "pays bills on time," or "takes care of one dog and one child," subconsciously giving myself credit? Who knows. Most "normies" would probably think I am completely insane, but I'm guessing maybe some of us may understand or relate to that notion...
I sat in this gratefulness I have today, with those thoughts, of getting to do all those things, complete work, maintain my household, pay bills on time, take care of myself, my daughter, my dog, my fish even! Beyond that I even get to do a service position for my home group meeting -- I actually got voted IN to a position by people to be helpful to others now. Who'da thought?

I get to realize that we really needed a night light in the hall bathroom, and realize that it was such a simple thing to grab at the store, yet we did without it for so long because I was so unaware/unconcerned/selfish/drunk. But it is so helpful to have it now, it makes a big difference! Little things. There are so many of those that I notice now. Every time I look at that little night light I am reminded, and GRATEFUL!!!