Notices

Gratitude for family

Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude for family

My parents treated me to lunch today, and my mother told me that I have grown so much in the last year. In our family, we do not offer such observances usually, but I was able to sincerely thank her, and to give credit where it is due: I told her that my growth is due to AA, the fellowship, strong sponsorship, and other women in recovery who have become friends.
I'm grateful I can take a compliment from my mom today without feeling all awkward inside.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thank you for sharing a part of your life, Rowan!

My father is an active alcoholic, mom died years ago from her addictions to nicotine and alcohol. Dad and Mom used to be my drinking buddies, now it's nice to know that my father supports my recovery and the person I've become in sobriety. I'm grateful to have a supportive father and a good grandfather for my children.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Astro

I drove my Mom up to my place tonight to pick up her car. She wanted to listen to some tunes so I offered a CD - it was an AA speaker from a conference in Toronto in 2004. The speaker was a RC priest and very humorous. My mom appreciates humour so we put it on. For 40 minutes we listened to it and laughed - and she asked to borrow it for my Dad to listen to! Anything AA-related would have had them running for the hills until very recently. I thought this was so cool.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Thank you for sharing this, Rowan. GH :-)
Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks M, it's great to see you
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I'm grateful that I can speak to my mother today and take her comments as her "opinions" and let them go if I do not like them-or keep them and value what she has said to me. It has taken a long time to get there with her and still more work in progress but, I'm grateful that I can see the difference with her today and not fuel an argument anymore!