Looking for Direction

Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for Direction

Greeting to all,

New Member here, and I was told that this is the place to post.
Here goes,

Wife of 24 years is addicted to prescription Opioids.
According to the doctor, she has a legitimate need due to a severely fractured pelvis and lower lumbar vertebrae as well as advanced osteoarthritis. But she cannot control her consumption of any medication.

I am disabled due to on-duty injuries, MS, and advanced vision loss due to steroid-induced cataracts. (MS treatment)
I, unfortunately, am dependent on her, from a co-dependent standpoint as well as physically. She is my registered caregiver since I require 24/7 care.

We live on my disability since she cannot work, her own limitations as well as caring for me. She does not have insurance or qualify for Medicaid.

She is not even sure that she wants help. She says she needs them to care for me. And that is why she takes my medication after her's are gone. That she has been taking them so long that she can't imagine being without them.
I cannot leave, I can barely walk and cannot see to drive, nor do I have a place to go or funds to go with. I cannot kick her out without involving the courts and here since I am disabled and she is my caregiver would mean that she would be charged with felony elder abuse, which I do not want. And truth be told she has been my wife for 24 years, should I want to kick her out?

Yet something must be done.

Anybody got any ideas?
Old 06-30-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gosh that is a truely hard situation. Having to rely on her for everything must be difficult when you are dealing with her pain pill addiction too.
Would you be able to confide in a doctor in private about your concerns? It’s worrying that she takes your medicine also.
What is her behaviour like when she is taking the medication? Is she still meeting all your needs?
I don’t have any suggestions or answers but glad you have found this forum. Keep posting and reading and reaching out.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply.
For the most part yes she does take care of me, considering the fact that her life revolves around medicine.
As for confiding in a doctor, I tried to speak with my primary care and he stopped me, basically saying that if I gave him more details he would be obligated by law to report it which would mean she would be wearing an orange jumpsuit and I would be on the state database and no longer able to get any medication for myself.
I even tried to speak with a treatment facility in the area to try to get her help, they told me in no uncertain terms that if she didn't have insurance or Medicaid that they couldn't (wouldn't) help. No one to bill for services.
I realize nothing is free, but geez, if this is truly the "opioid epidemic" that everyone says it is then you'd think there would be options other than $5-$10K a week treatment.
Again, thanks for the reply.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The salvation army has a free or nearly free program. The thing is, she will continue to spiral until she cannot function at some point I would imagine. I would certainly be having her reach out to any and every program to try to obtain a spot. I would also call the hospital on an anonymous basis and speak to a social worker and see if they know of any programs.

I am so sorry for what brings you here. Keep reading, keep posting, SR is a place of great support.