a very happy, hopeful day

Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a very happy, hopeful day

I'm just home from a sentencing hearing for my son. He's been in county for over 60 days, and his plea was time served at sentencing, but of course it's not official to that gavel goes down! Plus he was served with a violation of probation which could have made a mess of things. However as I type this they are getting ready to out process him. My son has never been in jail before, except for a few days in lieu of bail.. He has been spending time talking to lots of guys older than him who are stuck in this cycle in their 30, 40, and 50s and he's adamant that this is the end of this kind of life for him. I've been sending him spiritual and meditation books, along with fiction, and he's seemed to find a lot of peace in a book called The Wise Heart. I'm sorry, I can't remember the author's name. It was popular and others borrowed it. I'll post the details another time if that is allowed. He used to read me the parts that really hit home with him, over our phone calls. I have prayed and meditated every day for him, and one of my prayers asks God to give help and strength to all who face any kind of addictions, si I think of the people here, as well as those I know IRL. Home in time for Christmas!!!! He has a job interview and asked me to let the therapist he used to see to know he wants to resume. Over 60 days in jail means over 60 days clean, plus about a month before that. Still a long, difficult year ahead, but I'm praying so hard that the new "tough love" (no more private $ attorneys, he had to use public defender) and the reality that jail CAN AND DID happen to him, means he is really ready to get on with his life. Prayers for all on this site. I dont write a lot but I do read and wish the best for all of you. 💛
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is great news Green! Your son sounds ready for help and I pray that he takes full advantage of the resources around him to help him stay sober. It is a wonderful thing to watch them succeed on their own isn't it?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is very very good! I hope he applies everything he has learned to his new found freedom. Big hugs, and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep the prayers coming we need and appreciate them. Many prayers for you and yours. Sounds like your son is ready. Hopefully with his 90 plus days he has found relief and the recovery process is smooth sailing for him. All the other drama will be funny stories if he stays sober.

As a recovering alcoholic, I would suggest you keep your "tough love" boundaries until your son reaches 5 years sober. Us addicts know how to manipulate and it seems to always work on the ones that love us the most.

Many prayers!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is fabulous news, GreenChair, May your son's recovery be lasting and complete.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That is good news indeed. You know how to set boundaries and enforce them, this will see you far.

I am happy for both of you.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

Btw, the book is THE WISE HEART by Jack Kornfield, if anyone is interested. There was a section about addiction being like a ghost that had a profound effect on him.