Is the addict lying or in denial about how their addiction?

Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are they truly in denial of how bad their addiction is along with all their bad choices, harmful behaviors or
is it very obvious to them but they prefer to lie and blame you instead hoping you will buy their nonsense and fix the damage they know they caused.
can you tell if they are truly in denial or not??
Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Needuall, when I read the title of your thread, without even looking at what you posted, I nodded my head "yes" as an answer to both denial and lying. It goes with addiction and is something most of us here have dealt with.

Once we accept that, we no longer put any importance on their accusations that "WE" are the cause of their addiction, "WE" just don't understand, "WE" need to change because "WE'RE" crazy"...and of course, we are not. "WE" have no power over their addiction, that's something else that's hard to accept. It was an illusion for me to think that anything I did or did not do would change my son or his addiction to drugs. Only he can do that, if and when he is ready and not one moment before. For my son, it's been about 15 years total, he's been missing the past 10, lost in his addiction somewhere. I start my day in prayer, asking God to do for my son what I cannot, and then I live my day in faith that God and my son have this covered.

What helped me and many here to find our balance and sanity again was to go to meetings and learn to take our focus off our addicted loved one and put it back on ourselves and to live a healthy life regardless of how our addicted loved one is doing. Al-anon, Nar-anon and CoDA (my personal home group) are three similar fellowships and there are meetings in almost every town and city. Maybe check out your area meetings and make a plan to visit a couple as see if they don't help you too.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi

In my experience, yes she was truly totally in denial concerning her addictions. She had to tell herself through her denial that what she was doing was / is ok. That is where the lying starts. They are lying to themselves.

From there lying becomes a way of life, They have to lie to everyone to hide the truth of who they are & what they do. Mine lied constantly to everyone including me.

Thanks

Originally Posted by needuall View Post
Are they truly in denial of how bad their addiction is along with all their bad choices, harmful behaviors or
is it very obvious to them but they prefer to lie and blame you instead hoping you will buy their nonsense and fix the damage they know they caused.
can you tell if they are truly in denial or not??
Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. My AH has repeatedly told me that I stress him out which causes him to do cocaine. He also has told me that he doesn't have a problem and also denies doing it. Everything he says it's a contradiction and it's very hard to follow his logic.
When presented with proof of his behaviour, he has an excuse (he drove drunk and if I didn't rent the car, then there would have been no car to drive). It's very hard to keep up with everything he says.
He lies all the time, then when caught he blames me for doing it because I always get angry when he is honest with me.
It just got too much.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

we all tell ourselves lies on some level....little lies, big lies. and we all have at least certain spots where we see what we want to see, or remember what we want to remember, which are not based on facts.

addicts are no different. they are just louder about it. they are defending and protecting their drug use, at all costs. if they can make it seem like it's someone else's fault, all the better. if they can make someone believe their tall tales, their excuses, their outright lies, better still. if they have to promise things they do not mean, or state udying love they do not feel, so be it.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Yes both. They lie to themselves and their whole life becomes a lie. They live in denial of the truth, that what they are doing is hurting themselves. So they have no problem with actions that cause harm, or at least they tell themselves that it won't really hurt you or them or anyone else if they act the way they act.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think denial IS type of lie...it's based in dishonesty just likes lies are...I think if we were all honest we would admit we all have areas within us that contain some denial about certain aspects of our lives too. Just my thoughts....
Old 11-25-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah they are in denial. They can lose everything and anything, and it will be someone else's fault. It's never their fault. They are always the victim. They have to believe the lies they tell everyone and themselves in order to sleep at night, and then they get high to push away the burdening guilt. Its a horrible vicious cycle, and a horrible way to live.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soulful View Post
Yes. My AH has repeatedly told me that I stress him out which causes him to do cocaine. He also has told me that he doesn't have a problem and also denies doing it. Everything he says it's a contradiction and it's very hard to follow his logic.
When presented with proof of his behaviour, he has an excuse (he drove drunk and if I didn't rent the car, then there would have been no car to drive). It's very hard to keep up with everything he says.
He lies all the time, then when caught he blames me for doing it because I always get angry when he is honest with me.
It just got too much.
This was exactly how my AH was when using coke. The mental and emotional stress was horrific- especially when I knew he was lying but had to prove it! I learnt to just smile and nod, he's slowly learning how ridiculous it all was/is.
I genuinely think that sometimes he believed his lies to himself so much that it was no longer a lie (denial).
Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WOW! needuall, I just started today and you have the same questions as I! Not sure how to go about all of this.

Very scary, very strange. *hugs*

Last edited by sixth; 11-27-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: *hugs*
Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

With addiction comes manipulation.

Recovery looks like recovery. It's humble and truthful.