Pressing Charges on a Family Member - Will it Help?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Press charges. Anything less would be enabling
Old 04-06-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

We can usually in these types of cases press charges and then as the case progresses on ask of the DA to recommend a treatment Program as an alternative to jail or prison time.

Have her busted, then let her sweat it out for a while.

Stealing from one's family is just about as low as one can go. At this time she is spiritually sick.

Mountainman
Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hold her accountable in the most failsafe way possible. If that way is to bring her up on charges that may result in her going to jail. too bad so sad.
My exAH has stolen, pawned & forged to feed his addiction. He's very, very good at coming up with stories about where things have gone that are exactly plausible enough that you WANT to believe him, because you DON'T want to believe that someone you love is that far entrapped in addiction.
They are.
And they will continue to steal, lie and evade the consequences unless consequences are wrought that are unavoidable.
I have called the police on my exAH. And I would have no problem doing it again.
It is his CHOICE to do these things, and all choices have logical consequences, negative and positive. Clearly the consequence of lack of trust, hard feelings, stress, strife and ruin of family relationships are not enough to sway your niece.
As to the question of counseling or clinical therapy, my ex AH only started attending counseling, group therapy and treatment because he DID go to jail because of his actions, and decided that rather than end up there again, he would enroll in the programs that might keep him out of jail.