Wife of a constant relapser

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Read this this morning and it hit home..."we met for a reason..either you're a blessing or a lesson". My relationship with my drug addicted husband has been a lesson In self respect, love and boundaries. I hope it resonates with others the way it did for me
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Your job is to protect you and your child. His job is to protect himself at this point. Addicts, sometimes take a long time to do this!

Just because you separate doesn't mean you are divorcing or it's over. But when you live, in a household, with an addict, there is a dynamic that is unhealthy (walking on eggshells; manipulation; analyzing).

Peace is priceless. Gain your peace if you can.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peacelovesober View Post
always..we have to remember to focus more on ourselves. I am 14 months sober (alcohol) was my drug so I have my own sobriety to protect. I am currently reading td jakes book and I feel like it was written to me. Reminding me that I can't always change my situation immediately but I can change my reactions. I can no longer be a victim because I know what's coming.......it's always the same.
Could you tell me what the title of the book is? Thanks!

Kari
Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I feel for each and every one of you dealing with an addicted spouse. I cannot imagine the fear, resentment and anger you must be feeling although I too have felt some of those same feelings with my RAS. I believe we are told a small portion of the real truth and you are best to go with your gut feeling. Do what is best for you and your child(ren) and your emotional health and stability. I can tell you living with a mother who was mentally unstable, my therapist told me I learned to be the caretaker as young as 2 years old. I have been dealing with that resentment and fall out for 30 years. Children pick up on a lot and are very perceptive. You think you are protecting them but they know something is wrong and it does affect them. Children take on the feelings of guilt, anxiety and wanting to be the caretaker with results that will hurt them for their lifetime. Please do what is the very best for your welfare and that of your children. You all deserve to be happy and without constant anxiety and worry.