Gratitude Check

Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude Check

One of the things I need to do every day is stand still in gratitude. If I don't take the time to do this, I find myself falling into old patterns of resentment, anger, or self pity. My son is an addict. Yes. He is currently in recovery but I sometimes find myself waiting for that shoe to drop.....you know what shoe I'm talking about. lol

How on earth can I appreciate or enjoy the fact that he is in recovery today if I am waiting......waiting. If I am always concerned about how he is going to conduct his life, how on earth can I live and enjoy my own?

The way I stay grounded is gratitude. I am grateful for what is. I am healthy at this moment. I have a loving husband. My son is sober today. I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food in my stomach. I have a beautiful, independent, healthy daughter. I have sweet dogs who think I'm a much better person than I actually am. I have a loving mother. I have wonderful friends. I have a program of recovery. I have experience. I have a power greater than myself. I have a deep love of nature and music. I have so much to be grateful for. Thank you.....thank you.

I love this song by Alanis Morisette. When I am down and forget all of the things that I have to be grateful for....I play this song LOUD. It is my reminder that there is even gratitude in negatives.

What do you have to be grateful for today?

gentle hugs
ke

Thank You by Alanis Morissette

How about getting off of these antibiotics
How about stopping eating when I'm filled up
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence

How about me not blaming you for everything
How about me enjoying the moment for once
How about how good it feels to finally forgive you

How about grieving it all one at a time

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence

The moment I let go of it was
The moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it was
The moment I touched down

How about no longer being masochistic
How about remembering your divinity

How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out
How about not equating death with stopping

Thank you India
Thank you providence
Thank you nothingness
Thank you clarity
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Gratitude is awesome ~ thank KE!

I am very blessed to be a part of a Gratitude text group of 6 ladies ~ we try to text a gratitude list to each other every day. It is a blessing to hear my phone chime with positive messages.

Today I am grateful for learning & still learning not to embellish ~ the good nor the bad.
To say things just as they are is simply enough.

can't wait to read everyone's gratitude for the day!

PINK HUGS!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Kindeyes. I am grateful for all I have learned from each of you. I am grateful for the encouragement you each offer to the "newbies" when they arrive... like I did....broken down, defeated, hopeless. I am grateful for the stories of hope I read on this site. I am grateful for my son's higher power who is undoubtedly waiting for my son to say "I'm ready". I am grateful for my son's clean and sober friends who are willing to help him when he says "I'm ready". And I am grateful for knowing that even though I'll never be grateful for my son's addiction, I am grateful for the growth I've experienced because of it. Make it a great day everyone!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. This morning, I remembered to think through my gratitude list in my head. I don't always remember to do that. It amazes me how much better I feel once I have gone through it.

I am thankful for a roof over my head and a working car. I'm thankful that I graduated. I am thankful for my garden and for the birds. I'm thankful for my pets. I'm thankful for my health. I am thankful for my family and for my supportive friends. I'm thankful for food in my fridge.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KE- I'm so grateful for the relationship I have developed with my HP which was not really there prior to my son's addiction. Also I am grateful for my HP opening my eyes to how I deal with people. Through addiction I've learned we don't always know the struggles people are going through and we need to be kind. My list is much longer but this us what I wZnted to mention.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kindeyes,

Here's a slightly different gloss on gratitude, taking it one step further into happiness--that if we just look, we will find more than enough reasons to be happy right now this minute, whatever our circumstances:

"There are so many conditions of happiness that are already available [to you in the here and the now]. You don't need to run into the future searching for more conditions of happiness." Thich Nhat Hanh

Conditions of happiness I notice right now: a heart that beats normally, eyes that see (in color!), the ability to breathe freely and easily, a full stomach.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Noground
I LOVE that! Thanks for sharing. I used to find so many conditions for misery, anxiety, anguish, and fear.......we don't need to run into the future looking for those things either. I'll deal with the sorrows of tomorrow if/when they happen......today I do find many conditions of happiness.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When I fill my heart with gratitude for all the blessings in my life, there is no room left for fear or anger or resentments.

Thanks for the reminder, Kindeyes.

Hugs