Opiate Addiction - someone to relate to

Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate Addiction - someone to relate to

I'm new to this and I almost feel stupid writing something. But the past few days have been really taking a toll on me. My boyfriend of over a year just started going to a 12 step program to help his addiction to blues (opiates). He just started using suboxones, and I was wondering if anyone knows how it really work. I've heard it's a miracle drug, but I just wanted to hear other opinions. My boyfriend treats me like gold, and loves me to death. I knew what he was up to, it's been an ongoing situation, I just never knew how bad it was.. He has me and his whole family behind him, he has tons of support. Who's had success with their significant others and overcoming addiction?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do!!! My brother has been clean from opiates and more since Aug 2011.

You asked for opinion so here is mine: I think getting clean without taking suboxone is best. Not easy, but my brother did it.

He went the suboxone route first and ended up kicked out of the program. He abused those and/or didn't take them and possibly sold them instead. Got away with it for months. Eventually they caught him.

When he truly wanted to get clean he knuckled down and did it. The program that helped him didn't allow any kind of medication, including antidepressants. Today he doesn't need any medication.

Also have a family friend on methadone. He is, sadly, a very functional mess. He does hold down a job but whenever I am around him he seems high, just on something legal.

I guess it doesn't matter, because ultimately you bf will do whatever he wants but these are the things I witnessed.

Glad you found the forum. Sorry you needed to find it, of course.

Read the sticky posts and keep posting an reading here. It's a path forward.

Peace,
Hanna
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband is now a year clean from opiates. His primary drug was various opiate based pain meds although before he was done he got into some other drugs like Xanax and cocaine.

I dont know much about suboxone, except it is commonly used; I think it does present its own issues when people taper off it eventually, but it can certainly be done. Its a positive step he is taking in my opinion. There is a Suboxone forum here related to this topic. Also on substance abuse forum it is often discussed.

My husband had a full detox and then he used a med called Naltrexone (vivitrol) for two months. You have to be fully detoxed to use it, but it is non addictive and wont allow a person to het high from opiates, my husband also said it reduced cravings and allowed him to focus on learning in rehab.

Your boyfriend sounds like he is doing the right things for himself, and he is fortunate to have a great support system behind him. Try not to worry and take things one day at a time.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My BF used suboxone to help get off of pain pills. The way he said it works is it’s like putting the key into the lock except that the key doesn’t turn. Kind of like a crutch until they are weaned off of it. It’s very important to use it exactely as prescribed and it’s more important to work towards weaning down on the amount under a Dr’s supervision. If used properly it really does work but it’s just another tool and having a program in place is also key. My BF was on it for about 8 months until he was totally off of it. He’s been clean for 3 years and 4 months now.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

success? well it is out there. soboxone did not work for my ex. He has done inpatient rehab for 30 days and relapsed, got another 90 days and relapsed. He is clean now according to drug tests, but drinks alcohol still and isn't in any active recovery in my opinion, because he is still drinking. but he is white knuckling off of opiates. I think it is all about desire. I didn't realize how bad it was either in the beginning.
I wish the best for you and your BF. If he truly embraces the program he might do well.
how are you coping with all of this?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They best success story will be you own. Don't ever forget that.

Sub is a great tool, miracle drug, no because it doesn't have that type of power, the miracle is in the user. It is a chance, a good one I find even if it is used wrong until one learns what they need to in the mix. I don't find it a crutch, I don't think that is a fair label at all only because it gives them time and does allow for healing.

My husband used it, I don't think he would be alive today without that option. It gave him time to dispel the sickness in his thinking.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Think you everyone. Hope is what I need the most. It is becoming such a stressful thing, I just pray he learns the right way to live his life. He can still change, I know he can. He really wants to. I just don't want the addiction to get the best of him. I have to realize, this is a day by day process. It's not helping me or him to worry about the future, to worry about if he'll get better. I have to take it one day at a time.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't find it a crutch, I don't think that is a fair label at all only because it gives them time and does allow for healing.
Much like a crutch with a broken leg, it allows them to not put pressure on the broken limb in order for it to heal...........
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Suboxne does not work it's a drug !! u can get high off of it !!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The only thing that works is having a higher power !!(god). Step work and a sponsor support group meetings asking for help doing what it takes !! That recovery