Crime

Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crime

What kind of crimes did your loved one commit while using? I just found out by brother is being charged with stealing a car, which seems really extreme. Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

jewelry theft from mom and grandma and taking them to the pawn shop. thank god I sent mine to be put in a friends safe deposit box, and well... using in and of itself is a crime so... theft, possession, and paraphernalia
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My addicted step daughter has several charges for theft plus b&e. As the addiction worsens, it seems like the crimes go up. Her DOc is heroin.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Sure, it is common behavior, many have felonies, including my exabf. Although I ran a background check on him, it didn't show up, as at that time, the county he committed the crime, didn't post the infraction as public information.

After I tossed him out, he was arrested in my front yard and off to prison he went.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, where to begin? It started out as taking the screws out of a locked cabinet to steal medication from the family. Writing bad checks on other peoples checking accounts. Stealing my guns & electronics to pawn them. Renting a carpet cleaner at a chain store & then selling it for drug money. After power was out following a bad storm, copper line was cut down & stolen. Breaking & entering & theft. Stabbing a fellow addict while robbing him (addict survived, they're still friends). A lot of jail time has been served for most of these, too much for a 21 year old.

I'm sure I'm leaving some out, plus the things that have happened that I'm unaware of. His addiction is going on it's 6th year.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

grand theft for stealing over 10,000 of jewelry, stealing from our neighbors, pawning it all for drugs.
Then after first stint in jail, burglary of our home, breaking a huge safe and stealing cash and jewelry.
Two felonies in 10 months and he is just 22. Oh, wrote tons of bad checks and shoplifted too.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My exabfs felony(s) was for grand theft of a van...his bosses Duh, plus a stolen script and one other thing, can't remember..anyway 3 felonies at one time...
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stealing and pawning a Visa money card.
Trying to fill a prescription that wasn't his.
Theft by swindle - took my car (actually 2 cars) and sold them for drug money on Craigslist without my knowledge. (Both cars had loans on them so the titles weren't even in my name!)

That's it for what he was actually caught doing. There are 3 warrants open at this time, it has been over 3 years . . . our justice system is overworked and unable to keep up I guess. He's stayed out of trouble since and is sober so . . . but he'll have to deal with it eventually. My son.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My son has no felonies......that doesn't mean he didn't commit them. He just didn't get caught. It reminds me of the commercial that was on for a program about Moonshine (which I don't understand at all)..... one of the guys says "It ain't illegal til you get caught". I think that's how an addict thinks. But for all of the drugs my son has used over the last 15 years and the many, many criminals he's hung out with, its pretty amazing that he's 31 with no felonies. Most of the people he hung out with have multiple felonies.
gentle hugs
ke
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kthopkt View Post
What kind of crimes did your loved one commit while using? I just found out by brother is being charged with stealing a car, which seems really extreme. Anyone else experience this?
Ahhhh, where do I begin?

He stole money from his place of employment. Enough for grand theft I think. However the charge was reduced to petit theft because the company wouldn't press charges (cause my husband worked there too as a loyal employee and for many years). The state still pressed charges. I can't remember what the outcome was as it was so many years ago. All I remember is him having to write a letter of apology and pay the money back. No jail time. I think it was $3,000. That broke our hearts and was really embarrassing for dad. Of course son was fired.

He was arrested for marajuana possession. He has taken harder drugs but never got caught with those to my knowledge. He had court ordered drug treatment which didn't 'take' and was on probation.

He was caught another time or two for marajuana possession but really did no jail time. It was small amounts. I think that is why. Can't really remember.

He violated probation once and had to spend about 3 nights in jail.

Ran into the back of a dump truck with his car while high on opiates (the ER doctor told us). Not sure what drugs are opiates exactly. Doctor was furious cause he couldn't disclose that he had drugs in his system to law enforcement (dr./patient confidentiality). When the police came son was unconscious with concussion. He had no insurance so had his license taken away till the truck damage was paid.

He has stolen a lot from us like most of the coin collection that my husband has had going since his childhood, our guns, cash, etc. over the years. He has stole from his friends.

And that is only the stuff I know about. I think he was dealing drugs as well. I think he was delivering them for someone. It seems like most of the guys do and the girl are prostitutes for money. Just what I have observed.

Oddly enough during all this time he mostly held down a job but not all of the time.

Gosh reading this back makes me cringe. Who would have ever thought that this would be my life?

Kari
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish doc/patient confidentiality would go out the window when it comes to drugs/alcohol abuse and the law, or very concerned family.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My AH commits crimes every day of his life and never gets caught, yet. Way back before I realized he was addicted to prescription drugs just about all of my jewelry disappeared. He had taken it to a pawn shop. I had never had anyone around me that ever took anything from me and it caused me to have a major meltdown. My reaction was way over the top when I found out and one of the reasons was he never owned up to stealing, he kept saying he 'borrowed' and was going to get it back. Looking back on that I should have had him arrested and packed up and let him then. He hasn't changed anything over the years and IMO he will never. He is a pathetic man who ruined my life for way too long.