No one gets it !

Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No one gets it !

I don't know if I am the only one , but I hate that feeling that no one understands what I am going through or how I feel. My mom is a recovering drug addict. It has been a year but it is still very hard for me. I guess I just feel like no one else understands the angry and sadness and hurt I feel because of all of this.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're right that unless someone has a parent or other loved one battling drug addiction then they simply don't understand what you're going through. They may empathize but not experiencing it first hand they don't truly know what it's like.
However, there are people out there who understand because there are thousands of others dealing with what you are dealing with
Do you have any brothers or sisters? Aunts or Uncles or other family members who are close to you and your Mom? I bet other people in your family are also affected but her use.
Finally, I strongly suggest checking out Al-Anon or Nar-Anon because you will find TONS of other people going through what you're going through who will help you work through steps in order to focus on your own recovery.
Welcome to SR! You will also find a lot of understanding and support here. There is a forum specifically for adult children of addicts on here as well if you're interested. Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We understand, Piglet, I'm glad you joined us.

My son is the addicted loved one in my life, but regardless of the relationship, it's so hard watching anyone you love self-destruct.

Take a read around, especially the sticky posts at the top of this forum, you'll find a lot of good information there.

And stick around, others will be along to welcome you. You are among friends here who know your pain.

Hugs
Old 11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think one of the hardest things about it all is the isolation you feel that you are going through so much and you have no one you can talk to. You're in the right place here hunny and i can't tell you how much the Anon's will help too.

Big hug
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((((((Piglet))))) I know how you feel we all do, My mother is a recovering alcoholic, my dad still drinks from time to time, my husband and 2 of my sons do drugs.

welcome to SR. I hope you will find some comfort here.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At least she is sorting herself out now though babes. Holding onto anger is very bad for your health too hunny. Forgiveness is very difficult but one of the strongest spiritual cleansers. Try doing some guided meditations...you'll find plenty on YouTube...you'll be doing it for your own good before other makes you ill.

Hugs
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

....ie guided healing meditation for forgiveness.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I do understand, my mother is the lifelong addict in my life. She is an alcoholic, been drinking non stop for over 66 years. I have forgiven her so many times, all to no avail
as she just keeps doing the same things over and over again.

Me, I am done forgiving her, I now dedicate my days focusing on me, my well-being, as I cannot do a thing to help her, it is now, each man for himself.

Alanon meetings have helped me and I would suggest that you consider attending them.

Keep posting, we are here for you.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand. My mom is an addict. She has faced jail time and been in the psych hospital a couple of times, but still she continues to use. I've watched her destroy herself for decades. This website is very helpful. I've also found help from reading books about Adult Children of Alcoholics.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

i get it. i have hope my ah will stay and be sober but theres still resentment for all of the things i put up with. sometimes i just want to unload and explode on him and for everyone else to just get it. i had this feeling again today and i realized as hard as it is...and believe me keeping my composer is hard lol what do i want more serenity and fora healthy relationship or anger and a mess of emotions?
so i bit my tongue best i could. talk here and get it all of your chest. doing so with people who do understand