Meeting

Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rsk

Thumbs up Meeting

My last experience at a NARANON meeting wasn't too great, if anything it hurt a lot. I just wanted to come back and say that I went to a different meeting and it was wonderful. Please do not give up on these wonderful tools(meetings) after the first couple of attempts.

There is a lot to be learned. The fact that there are so many people from all walks of life makes the experience that much more beautiful.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too had to try a few meetings to find the one that fit. In the end, my home fellowship became CoDA which met once a week, and I also went to two different Al-anon meetings when I felt I needed something in between my other meetings.

The program remains the same, but the membership may vary and it's good to find the right size and atmosphere. That's why they suggest trying 6 meetings before you decide if they are for you.

I'm glad you kept trying rsk, the search was worth it.

Hugs
Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

rsk,

The 1st NarAnon meeting I went to sent me into a tail spin depression and I couldn't muster the courage to go back for 3 months. When I finally walked back into that same NarAnon meeting I was so low, so sick and tired, so at my wits end about what to do about my adult addict son, my life was in shambles. Those folks supported me, talk to me, talked about their own experiences, and I kept going back - it was a life saver for me. But I sure know what pain there is to go sometimes.

I ended up attending NarAnon on Thursday nights and AlAnon on Friday nights. The NarAnon group was mainly all parents of addict children. I was able to talk about my son there. A bit against the approved process there was some cross talk, feedback, advice thrown out, but it worked for us and people were recovering. The AlAnon group was really focused on our own recovery and less on the "qualifiers" in our lives, there weren't alot of parents there, but it was a well attended meeting. So I got good direction and examples of really working a program there. I wouldn't have given up the experience of both groups for anything.

Glad you found a face-to-face group that feels good.