Nar-anon?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nar-anon?

Do alot of people go to Nar-Anon meetings? I always have a fear Im going to be the only idiot there. I wanted to go tonight with my boyfriend who currently goes to NA and I wanted a meeting that I for once could relate to. What is the majority of the crowd like at Nar-Anon meetings? There arent too many al-anon meetings around my area tonight.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! Go!

I am not sure what you mean about being "the only idiot there" except that perhaps you are judging yourself for being involved with an addict?

You will find no judgement. In fact, folks at NarAnon do the exact opposite. They have walked in your shoes and know what you are going through. At my meeting there are people who are currently living with active users, parents whose children are in rehab, parents whose adult children are using and also a few of recovered adult children who still come years later to be a source of hope for newcomers. There is compassion and generosity beyond measure.

And don't stress about talking or saying the wrong thing. Just go!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just scared ill be the only one there. I went to attend an al anon meeting the other day at a church and for some reason the people I talked to at the church had no idea about the meeting so I was confused because it said it was on the al anon website. I am only 20 years old and have my boyfriend who's a narcotic user and father who is an alcoholic. I just feel I will be the only young one there and I feel like there won't be a big turnout of people going which will make me feel stupid
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I know that age doesn't matter to people at Nar Anon. My group said my 14 yo could come with me if she wanted to. If you are indeed the only one there, you can always leave. If not, make the most of a conversation you could have with a small group. You'll get more attention anyway. No need to feel stupid, for any reason. I guess I forget about being 20, but there's nothing small or trivial about your situation or your need for a meeting. Ask the webmaster to get that AlAnon site updated!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just go. If you don't like it or you are the only one there you can leave. You have nothing to lose by going, and everything to lose if you don't.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I go to Al Anon because Nar Anon is not available. You wont be an idiot, everyone is very welcoming.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You can always call ahead to confirm that the meeting is still on and still at the same place. Sometimes they change times and locations and not all lists get updated.

But by all means go, I promise you that you will be glad you did.

Hugs