Between death and rehab - he gets high again !

Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
JoeysGirl...

I'm late to your original post, so here goes...

When I was in similar shoes, with my AXGF, I always thought that whatever detox, or hospitalization, was going to be the one that worked. I thought, if she can just get through this one, things will be OK. And I was dead wrong. Sure, at some point she stopped using, but her thinking and behavior was so messed up, life with her was hell. I was in denial. There was always some little part of my brain that knew, just knew, that I was in far over my head, but every time those thoughts kicked up some sand, I doubled down on what I was doing with my AXGF: support her with love, and things will be OK.

This was a disastrous decision on my part, one that blew up in my face on an epic scale.

I'm sharing this with you because I don't want you to be as I was, or as others on the board are/were, and be in denial about what you're facing with your ABF and your ability to handle it. He's a sick, sick guy, and there is always the danger that he's going to drag you down with him. I don't want to see that happen. You, too, need to recover. Please consider Al Anon or Nar Anon if you haven't already. Learn all you can, and then make your best possible decision on what you know instead of what you want or wish to believe.

Be Safe,
ZoSo
Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

JoeysGirl,

Im also coming on to your thread late, but Ive read up on whats been happening.
Sweetie you have been through a lot as I read through...

Breaking up with your boyfriend, he overdoses, you witness him being in the ER after that event, you are dealing with emotionally distressed parents, your boyfriend agrees to detox, and to inpatient rehab, and then the whole process of your efforts to try to make sure he gets checked in.

i personally will not criticize you for your actions as all this unfolded during the past week. I dont think you deserve to be labeled, or badgered about your behavior.

I do hope that while he is away in the rehab taking care of his addiction; that you will be able to relax and take some time for yourself to reflect, thinks things through, and make sure that you are doing what is necessary, and what is best for your future.

But for now, I think that if you are able to relax a little, and eat pizza - its a good start.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeavsDad View Post
She doesn't have to wear the codie label if she doesn't want to.

She seems to be trying to "leave the rest" but isn't being allowed to.

Not everyone learns through the experiences of others. It's actually kind of rare.

Many here played codie enabler for several years, and even though not "oficially" diagnosed as codependent, still knew that they were acting incorrectly or allowing themselves to be walked on.

She's actually lucky to have found this resource early on.

Time will tell.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsthepop View Post
JoeysGirl,

Im also coming on to your thread late, but Ive read up on whats been happening.
Sweetie you have been through a lot as I read through...

Breaking up with your boyfriend, he overdoses, you witness him being in the ER after that event, you are dealing with emotionally distressed parents, your boyfriend agrees to detox, and to inpatient rehab, and then the whole process of your efforts to try to make sure he gets checked in.

i personally will not criticize you for your actions as all this unfolded during the past week. I dont think you deserve to be labeled, or badgered about your behavior.

I do hope that while he is away in the rehab taking care of his addiction; that you will be able to relax and take some time for yourself to reflect, thinks things through, and make sure that you are doing what is necessary, and what is best for your future.

But for now, I think that if you are able to relax a little, and eat pizza - its a good start.
Thanks

The pizza was good that night & I watched movies with a friend and talked some about all that had happened. It helped a lot.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

My boyfriend went through the whole rapid detox, and they have been monitoring him in the hospital these last couple days. He is now feeling really good. He is a litle bit weak feeling he says but that is all. He doesnt remember any part of the detox itself, no pain, no withdrawl symptoms. He was a little upset to his stomach when he first woke up but the gave him something for that, and now its all better.

In fact he has a really good appetite and I went out and got some take out for us, so we could eat together this afternoon, and finally got his parents to go out themselves and get a proper meal.

He is going to be released tomorrow, and all of the arrangements have not yet been made for rehab.

He is waffling on going now. He says now that all the drugs are out of his system, he can think so much more clearly, and he is in horror over how he was acting. He does not even hardly remember the whole thing with his parents the night before he was admitted to the detox. He says he took a ton of pills that he does know.

His parents put their foot down, and told him they agreed to pay for this rapid detox as long as he agreed to go to rehab, and they are using that as leverage. But they are basically screwed as far as the deal goes if he does refuse to go to rehab because they already paid out close to 10k for the rapid detox.

His mom has told me that if he refuses to go, then they will not support outpatient,m or thereapy or anything else. This seems a little harsh to me because there are other options, but that is their choice and I understand because the inpatient rehab will give him the best chance to overcome this addiction.

But now here is the thing, he is saying since he has all the drugs out of his system , no withdrawls to push him back to using, no cravings.... he says he could do some counseling like the doctor at the hospital recommended.

I think what will happen is that he will give in to go and do the inpatient like he promised. He is just scared, and wants a way to avoid it.

His mom says I need to support their actions, and refuse to let him come home with me unless he is headed right to rehab once we get everything finalized tomorrow. But I dont feel like I want to ask him to leave if A) he is clean, and B) he is pursuing some type of treatment. So I am going to let him come home regardless of inpatient / outpatient.

I wish we could have it all worked out that we could put him on a plane and get him straight to the rehab when he walks out of the hospital tomorrow just like they do on tv; seems to be a little more complicated however as his parents are trying to find a 'cheap flight' and are arguing over if one or both of them should accompany him to make sure he checks in.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Why are you so intent on sabotaging everything his parents are trying to accomplish? If you were my son's girlfriend, I would be FURIOUS.

I'm outta here.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

His mother is making reasonable request and you seem at least to me too be making excuses IMO you need to read about The Pink Cloud your bf is way from being done just because the drugs are out of his system that was the EASY part the HARD part just begins ..

What i hear a lot in your post is for some reason you appear too need to compete with his mom WHY? the things she is saying are accurate the parents are not being harsh
your your attitude on them just being screwed on the 10K sucks they love him just like you do they were willing to let him have the easier way for detox and pay for it but you in some way wanna win what are you trying to win?

You are his enabler please educate yourself.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

It would be in your boyfriend's best interest if he wasn't so intent in taking the easy way out. Now that the detox is over for him, he can apply himself in rehab to discover how to make better choices with his life. What is he so afraid of?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

You have to realize that the addiction is not over just because he had a rapid detox. I think if it were me paying for his detox and rehab, I'd have every right to say how it's going to go. His parents are not in the wrong here and addicts don't get cured overnight. I've noticed addicts including myself get this sense of over confidence when they first get sober. His parents have every right to believe he is going to easily relapse considering he flat out lied about sitting on the patio to clear his head.

If you don't want to ruin whatever relationship you may have with his parents now and if you truly care for his well being, you shouldn't be so coddling. He is not a toddler and he got himself into this mess. He's lucky he has parents that have and are willing to pay for this - most people aren't that lucky.

Everything I've read about his recovery tactics shows he wants a quick fix to get everyone off his back (no pun intended). To ignore the facts won't change the facts, and the fact is recovery is not easy for any addict. Scared or not, if he wants to get clean, he'll do what it takes and you should allow his parents to do what they want if it's their money.

Someone mentioned codependency earlier - you ARE being manipulated by his words. Also, think about how much time you are spending dealing with this...the driving around the other day, sitting online trying to get people to agree with your point of view, arguing with his parents, etc...
Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Please respect his parents wishes. If you chose, you can walk away whenever you want and find a new boy friend.

This is their son. He can not be replaced.

And ridiculing them about a "cheap ticket" is not your place!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I guess I had the purpose of this forum wrong. I thought it was a place where you could talk about your feelings, and vent and let out your frustrations and fears involving your addicted love one.

I feel like Ive been made out to be the villain in regards to my boyfriends addiction by a lot of people here. I know a LOT of you are parents and its your child who is addicted; but my post is about me as a girlfriend and what Im experiencing and what Im feeling. Ive known my boyfriend for a good 5 years, and we have been best friends a long time before we fell in love and moved in together to share our lives. I care about his future, and his health. I love him very much. Ive been with him through a terrible accident, surgeries, physical therapy, pain, fear, exhaustion. And now Im doing my best to stand beside him as he hopefully fights his way out of this addiction.

I was the one who first realized he was abusing his pain meds. I was the one who advised his parents of my concerns. I was the one who just over a week ago broke up with him and told him that he needed to get help before we could be together because he was really drug sick and I didn’t want to be around it. And then a couple days later he overdoses while staying at his friends house.

So no, now that he has went through the rapid detox for opiates; I will not turn him back out to live with his friends again, not if he is willing to seek treatment. Even if that treatment method is not condoned by his parents.

I want him to go to the inpatient rehab. I have told him that. I reminded him that he made a promise to his parents, that they had spent a lot of money already, that they are paying for the time at rehab and that is costing even more than the detox. Ive tried to encourage him, and make him realize that this is a wonderful opportunity. He will be able to get away from all the pressures he has here at home, and work solely on himself, his health. The rehab that was picked out specializes in dealing with addiction when there is also a chronic pain issue such as with his injury. So ive emphasized this to him, and that maybe for once and for all, he can get off the pain meds, and find a better way to alleviate the pain, and make more progress in recovery. Because he hasn’t passed the proposed limits they give on what you can gain from physical therapy and rehabilitation.

Im not sabotaging his parents at all. I have known them for almost 5 years. We have always got along well; but I do think they blame me for his overdose because I kicked him out. But the whole thought process makes no sense to me because being strong and trying to force him to seek out help was all her idea in the first place. I sort of think Im being made to be the scapegoat; I try to do what she suggests, and then if it goes wrong, its my fault not hers because I caused it by my actions. At least that is how I feel. Im sure you will all disagree because most of you cant see/ dont want to see my viewpoint as the girlfriend.

Anyway, Im just going to end here. I am glad I came here because I learned about the detox procedure, and we had not been informed about that by his doctor at the hospital. Im sure there are other bits of good information here, but coming here now I just end up feeling bad from the comments I get, so there is no point in my posting anymore.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Joeysgirl, I want your bf to recover and I am a stranger I do not know him, you, or anyone who loves him what I do know is I want success for him Why? I care.

I have 2 sons who are addicted as well as my husband... I have educated myself best I can I have been in your bfs parents place to a degree as well as yours when I first came here it was 2007 I did not stay I was "different" the addict in my life at that time was "different" I knew all I needed to know well the joke was on ME ...

Truth is I am not "different" my addicts are not "different" and I still have so much learning to do.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

He isn’t in recovery, he just detoxed, that simple.
And you got that victim thing down perfectly. It is a shame you can’t stop explaining for a second and start listening.
Have you done anything you were advised to for yourself?
Can you just step back and stay out of it all? Take no stance, encourage him to go and not be a nice cushy place for him to land if he doesn’t.

Oh and all that talking I would have asked him who he was trying to convince he was ok, himself or everyone around him.

Such sickness all the way around, his parents, you and him …. Just what the addiction is counting on cause it thrives in the chaos.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

guess I had the purpose of this forum wrong. I thought it was a place where you could talk about your feelings, and vent and let out your frustrations and fears involving your addicted love one.

You are correct about that HOWEVER the another main purpose is( ESH) Experience, Strength and Hope

You have people who have are in recovery from addiction responding to your post not just those of us who love someone who has an addiction.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I am now off this post awhile I feel myself getting codie ...
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

this forum certainly does have many many people who come here to vent, let out their hard feelings, their hurt, their doubts and fears...but that is not really what this forum is about...

Sober Recovery (SR) is about sobriety and recovery
it is about experience strength and hope
it is about living in the SOLUTION rather than lingering in the fear, doubt and desperation of addiction and codependency
people who offer advice here are not asking, suggesting, informing you about, or telling you to do anything that would make you feel worse...any comment that comes from someone in recovery is meant to assist you in making informed decisions (informed, not necessarily easy!) that will point you in the direction of doing the most highly probable best thing possible for all involved...

do you think that we would suggest/share things that would have the intention of doing harm?

this forum is about recovery, sobriety, solution, serenity and hope...offered up to those who are in enough pain, doubt and fear to find their way here.
the intention is to move out of fear, out of doubt and toward recovery and serenity.

take what you want and leave the rest...and you're always welcome to come back for more

this all said from the ex girlfriend of an addict...
peace, Leslie
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeysGirl View Post
Since you are not hiding your feelings regarding your assessment and opinion of me, I will just be blunt and honest in my reply to you.

When I read what you wrote, it reminds me of the normal person who can handle their drink, but admits once in a while they might drink too much. Unfortunately, this information is shared in a room of alcoholics whose lives have been destroyed by their inability to control their urges and behaviors in regard to drinking, and now because of their tremendous sensitivity to anything related to alcohol – they grab onto my limited admission of indulgent drinking and quickly make an assessment that I’m an alcoholic, and further I must join them, start my recovery, and do as they do because they have the answer.

What I would do in that case would be to run to the nearest exit, and say something like whatever they are on; whatever their program of recovery is; I want none of that.

I appreciate others on this forum who have taken the time to tell me some of their own personal experience with addiction. I appreciate it when people share what they are doing for themselves, and what program, or thought process has helped them feel better and improve their life.

That is really all you need to do.

You don’t need to attack someone, diagnose them, belittle them for not seeing things as you do based on your limited knowledge of the overall situation, and make the statement that your way of meetings and 12 steps to recover from codependency is what I even need, or would even want to pursue as a means of treatment if I did decide I needed assistance. All of those things which you did are very codependent in nature; I hope you realize that. Also, its very off-putting in regards to the method of recovery that you endorse.

I think that many people here are trying to turn you into a victim. It appears to me a lot of people are trying to stick you in a box, throw a label on you, and trot you off to recovery. You are resisting and it has feathers all ruffled.

And whats more.... I always find this funny.... there are so few recovery stories ... or so they say here.... but yet there seem to be a lot of people here that tout they are recovering addicts and doing well. Hasnt anyone ever noticed this ?

Good Luck JoeysGirl. If you want to PM me, I know of some other addiction / recoery sites you might want to check out. It is good to educate yourself, but you need to feel like you are in a safe and open environment in order to allow the knowledge to soak in. I dont sense your feeling that here.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

a safe place is always good for all of us, right?

I guess if I was told a story of a man who overdosed a week ago, used again as soon as he left the hospital, had his parents shell out 10k for him to avoid withdrawals and was now hedging on whether to get treatment or not...I guess my feeling is that a safe place for this woman... who does not seem to be experienced with this sort of rapid progression with addiction... would NOT be with that addict

that is not calling someone a victim or labeling them...that is pointing out that the situation does NOT sound safe on a multitude of levels.

but yes we all have our own lives to live, so carry on