success story

Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

success story

Hi, first post here.
I've been with my (R?)AH for twelve years. Our relationship has been punctuated every two years or so by a relapse of the coke addiction he had "gotten over" before we met. I would love to tell you all about the ups and downs, knowing that you all understand where I'm coming from, but if I've been getting the message right, my AH's behaviours aren't the point- the important thing is to look at myself.
I came looking for success stories. Silly me, I thought that meant As who recovered. Thank you for teaching me that success will be my own victory, healing and personal growth, not his.
Who knows what he will do. Will he pay back the $1500, stay clean and be able to parent our amazing children? For their sake, I would like it if he did, but with your help I'm realizing I won't pin my hopes or happiness to that. Thank you so much for reminding me of the strong person I have inside, the one that feels proud, not guilty for sticking to my boundaries. Thank you for teaching me about quacking, and for helping me to embark on a journey to grow out of my own useless and mistaken excuses, behaviours and rationales. Thank you for helping me to not feel stupid for finding myself in this same damn addiction fiasco again and again for more than a decade-reading your posts makes me see I'm not alone and this helps my self esteem immensely. I am gaining the strength to make sure my next decade doesn't feel the same. Thanks to all of you here at SR, I am going to be defining my own success, my own future. Its possible that my AH will earn his way back into my house and our marriage, but with your guidance I'll settle for nothing less than a healthy relationship.
Someday I will be with someone else who will treat me right, who can actually process and share emotions, and who is fully reliable, but thanks to your insights, I have been reminded that I already have a person who fits that description in my life--ME!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Very inspiring post...thank you!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I hope you stick around and share your journey with us so that we can all learn from you.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this I am just now beginning to seriously work on me. I have been a yo yo. From all I read here and the few meetings I have attended your post is another reminder to me that I can do this.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just remember to kick my a** if I backslide into dependent, enabling delusion! I'm not always feeling so strong!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I believe when a person realizes how much they are worthy of love, dignity and respect and are not willing to tolerate unacceptable behaviors for them or their household; When you learn that healthy love allows your loved one to find their own dignity and self-respect to fight their own battles against their disease . . .

that is a success story ~ regardless of what else may happen.

It is the gift of learning to be Happy, Joyous and Free regardless.

Thank you so much for sharing your success story with us and please continue to share your growth as it is such an inspiration to others.

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Rita, that is so beautifully said. Thank you.

Hugs
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sevenofnine View Post
Someday I will be with someone else who will treat me right, who can actually process and share emotions, and who is fully reliable, but thanks to your insights, I have been reminded that I already have a person who fits that description in my life--ME!
Thanks for that I never looked at it that way, I do have me and those qualities somehow that makes me feel much better and more eager to head a different direction.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sevenofnine,

Inspiring.
Thank You.