Enabling is addiction

Old 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Chino,
I am writing that down too. I am tired of negotiating personal power.

Anyway, this is a fascinating thread. I think I wrote in another post about the people who I worked with, therapists and a whole group of social service workers.

If I had a chance, I would ask if they had a dysfunctional or chaotic life growing up.
I was not surprised to find out the majority of them did have serious issues themselves or a close relative was addicted or ill with other disorders or dis-ease.

How many of them are enabling or codependently sick themselves. And yes actively addicted themselves because they cannot "fix" their own broken childhood. This is huge for me. Amazing.

Thanks again for the links,

Beth
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was advised to go to Al-anon by a counselor a long time ago. I went. No one there said, hey you, this is all your fault and you are an addict....lol..oh wow...i would have folded right there and maybe found a bridge to jump off of because I was to blame for this or more than likely, I would have just went home and never returned. And where is the evidence that someone who lives with an addict and is getting the wool pulled over their eyes...oh, I mean enabling, ...really is, truely is an addict...sorry, I need real evidence...andno one should be putting this crap up on a bill board without it. I mean scholarly evidence and shame on anyone who would be so bold as to not have this type of evidence.

I took a college course from a pychologist who had us verify what is evidence and waht is not. I look for real evidence now, not here say or studies or someone who wrote a book.

tired and I mean tired of this crap
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredoftryin View Post
I mean scholarly evidence and shame on anyone who would be so bold as to not have this type of evidence.
The Compass of Pleasure, by neuroscientist David Linden.

His book is a compilation of scientific evidence.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredoftryin View Post
I was advised to go to Al-anon by a counselor a long time ago. I went. No one there said, hey you, this is all your fault and you are an addict....lol..oh wow...i would have folded right there and maybe found a bridge to jump off of because I was to blame for this or more than likely, I would have just went home and never returned. And where is the evidence that someone who lives with an addict and is getting the wool pulled over their eyes...oh, I mean enabling, ...really is, truely is an addict...sorry, I need real evidence...andno one should be putting this crap up on a bill board without it. I mean scholarly evidence and shame on anyone who would be so bold as to not have this type of evidence.

I took a college course from a pychologist who had us verify what is evidence and waht is not. I look for real evidence now, not here say or studies or someone who wrote a book.

tired and I mean tired of this crap
Take what you need........and leave the rest.

gentle hugs
ke