Celebrity Rehab - Dr Drew tv show

Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrity Rehab - Dr Drew tv show

The other day I was looking at on demand programming trying to find a missed episode of Celebrity Apprentice (as yes - I love The Donald) but anyway, I ran across Celebrity Rehab tv show. It was apparently a recap of seasons past; but I didnt watch but a few minutes..

Ive never watched the show spare maybe the very beginning episodes when the guy smoked crack on the roof.... I really had no interest in it then. Didnt know my BF and had no ties to addiction or drugs... and it seemed kinda ridiculous to me.. paying questionable celebrities craving attention to go to rehab and then filming them.... WTH ? was kinda my thought; still is.....

But I was just wondering what you guys think of this show?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same as Teen Mom. Even with good intentions, it ends up glamorizing something unglamorous.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Payment of celebrities aside, I think it was a real eye opener for a lot of people that have no idea about the devastation that addiction brings to everyone around the addict.

I watched it prior to knowing my husband.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto Cynical One.

Maybe the addict celebs and featered addicts on Intervention should plead their cases before the Shark Tank.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too think this show and others like it are exploitive. First, these "celebrities" have money and have probably never slept under a bridge or lived on the street. Because most of them are actors, it is impossible to discern what is real and what is a "performance".

I admire Dr. Drew when he speaks about addiction on CNN or other shows, but the whole celebrity thing is not for me.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
I am not much of a reader, but even this I do appreciate. Haha, I hate that show.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I watch Celebrity Rehab and totally ignore the addicts or the fact that they are celebrities. I watch it to see how Dr. Drew interacts with them and have gleened several "Pearls of Wisdom".

On one show, family weekend, Dr. Drew was talking to the parents of an alcoholic young man. The young man was on one of those Real World type reality shows (like Jersey Shore) where the name of the game is alcohol....and lots of it.

Dr. Drew explained that when you have the genetic precursor + opportunity = addiction
He went on to explain that with most kids...this occurs in high school or college.
If the family has never had the discussion, or knew to have the discussion that "hey...your dad, uncle, mom, grandpa etc. had an alcohol/addiction problem...so there is a chance, via genetics, that you could too" then these kids have no idea that what they are experiencing could actually the beginning of their problems.

Anyhoo...that is my take on it. Several things he has said or the way he has interacted have given me a few "Aha" moments.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And wanted to add....

Really, I just watch Dr. Drew cuz I think he is sizzling hot *wink*
Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't stand reality TV that pretends to film someone's every move. It's so staged. If I had a camera on me, and knew that millions would be watching, and then could edit out the boring, then I could come up with some trashy stuff too. Well, maybe I'm a little too boring but I think you know what I mean
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like the show, and I think Dr. Drew is a great Dr. I always "get" something out of the show, or at least confirms what I already know about addicts and their behavior.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

@skye.i watched afew ...but its like any real show or meeting

take what you want and leave the rest....did get some Ah HA moments...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My AD used to be obsessed with reality shows about addiction, rehabs, and prison. I don't have the stomach for those shows given to the reality I have lived with.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dr. Drew had a really good show on tonight about prescription pills and had a few Mothers on that lost their young sons. He said its a growing epidemic that he sees more patients die from.

I cannot post the link, as I don't have enough posts, but its on his CNN blogs.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think Dr. Drew it exploitive! He talks about his patients and some that are not even his patients every time he has a camera on him.He goes on radio shows (Howard Stern) and talks about people who he has no connection with gives his opinion on their addiction but says he has never met them. This doesnt seem professional to me.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh by the way ~ did I mention that I hate it!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EJG123 View Post
My AD used to be obsessed with reality shows about addiction, rehabs, and prison. I don't have the stomach for those shows given to the reality I have lived with.
Same here, for both of us. When she found recovery, she stopped watching them.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The problem with Intervention is that the show tends to show addicts ate their low bottom. Many people can get help before they get to the point of homeless, prostitution ect.... Those people will watch the show & think, "man that person is a real junkie, I'm not that bad".
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I too think this show and others like it are exploitive. First, these "celebrities" have money and have probably never slept under a bridge or lived on the street. Because most of them are actors, it is impossible to discern what is real and what is a "performance".
I admire Dr. Drew when he speaks about addiction on CNN or other shows, but the whole celebrity thing is not for me.
Originally Posted by tbeit View Post
I think Dr. Drew it exploitive! He talks about his patients and some that are not even his patients every time he has a camera on him.He goes on radio shows (Howard Stern) and talks about people who he has no connection with gives his opinion on their addiction but says he has never met them. This doesnt seem professional to me.
For me; I have to say that Dr Drew has lost his credibility. Im not saying that he doesnt understand addiction issues; but I believe that having this knowledge makes it inexcusable for him to promote and be part of the Celebrity Rehab show. In my opinion, he used the platform of VH1 to jump on the bandwagon of reality shows; got hismelf a lot of attention - both good and bad; which most wanna be celebrities dont mind; and then used it as a springboard for his career. Sure he does talk about addiction and gets it some airtime.... but there are many other doctors with more experience, more character, more credibility that should be the ones in that CNN chair.

For me personally, the little bits of the show I watched; they seemed to be doing pretty well and having a realatively good time. If Id had an inkling to try drugs; it wouldnt have scared me off. The few extreme things they showed didnt outweigh the light-heartedness of it all.

That is why I wondered how families of addicts viewed the show; maybe you had a different view than me.

I also agree to some extent about how Dr Drew on his CNN show uses his "knowledge" to explain with "certainty" whats going on with this situation, or with this person. He is using educated guesses..... He is too cocky with his "certainity" of the situation when he has in fact not treated the patient, not been privy to private information. When I see guest doctors speak about these types of things; they seem to be more respectful; explaining this is their opinion.... based on such and such information. I dont see Dr Drew doing that; he seems to need to build himself up. I dont watch his show on CNN - cause ehy do that when you can watch Piers Morgan ! But I did see some of his coverage during the MJ trial.

I get so much accomplished at my office; we had a discussion on tv personalities yesterday. Some really hate his show(s), one person loved his show but she admittedly thinks he's cute; others could take or leave him.
One person commented with a great deal of negativity on Celeb Rehab...and Celeb House... about how fake it appears. How the patients seem to be having such a good time, how they run around with their cell phones, get lots of visitors. Apparently they found one tech' apparently fake... saying she wears short skirts, high heels, lots of makeup, would go chasing after patients, hop in bed with them to chat... didnt make it sound very professional.

Of course maybe this is how it works; I dont know. You guys are always saying they need to befriend each other and build their support system.
haha
Old 03-17-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Having known people who have gone to some of the ritzier rehabs here in SoCal I call BS. The only part that seems real is the parts where you see them detox and the morning process group. One scene that stuck out in my mind as fake was when the girl coming off Suboxene was throwing up while laying out in the hallway. They would have tried to move her to bed for fire code violations if nothing else instead of just watching her.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Present

My AH and I watched all of the Celebrity Rehabs together. Each of us got a lot out of the show. I think Dr. Drew seems like a very caring man. It helped us communicate with each other.