It takes a whole lot of patience

Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It takes a whole lot of patience

My recovering alcoholic stepmom called tonight; we had family business to discuss and it was so frustrating. She's about 6 months clean this time, and before that it was two years. It was great talking business (anything, really) with her during her second year, she had pretty much regained all her mental clarity.

Today I had to go back and cover old ground, repeat myself several times, and speak slowly. The effort took everything I had. I looked up at a photo of my deceased dad, and said "patience!" reminding myself I'm honoring my dad by choice, though my dad was never that patient with anyone, except my mom. He had to keep up with her, not the other way around

So I learned something about my patience today. I didn't like it when I had to slow down to her pace, and I feel like she chose that pace when she chose to relapse. But on the other hand, I made the choice to slow down, too. I was about to lose my mind 10 minutes after the call, when I realized I was ranting about my choice to honor my father.

Looks I better flip my thinking around and see it as bringing her back up to speed. I should, I can, and I'm able. She should, she is willing, and doing what she can to the best of her ability.

Some days I'm like a dog chasing it's tail and this is one of them!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

She is lucky to have you, Chino.

I remember an employee once who was slower than everyone else, who was the last one to understand changes and who just seemed to drag her heels to get things done. But she was honest and willing and any work she did was great even if it took a while. You could count on her for anything...except speed. And I reminded myself often "she's doing the best she can". Turned out that my impatience was really about me and my lack of patience and not her at all. Imagine that.

Hugs
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann; I'm lucky to have her too. Just about every choice she made while active in her addiction was terrible, except for honoring my dad's wishes with his estate. She could have taken everything, but she chose to do the right thing.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Chino))

Your recovery shines thru with healthy compassion and respect for another one of our HP's creations ~

It's a great reminder to me to have a little more understanding with others too -

Thanks ~ I always need that reminder!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that is awesome Chino, a lot of people would just be rude to her... and wouldn't care.

You rock