Escaped For a Few Days...

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Escaped For a Few Days...

I've been feeling so overwhelmed lately, overwhelmed with life - dealing with my bf's addiction, running my father's business, dealing with pressure from my father, writing my novel, working on my artwork, caring for my 9 pets (just got a new puppy last week), watching over my sister (who is mildly mentally ******** and lives next door to me), watching over my mother (who is not the most emotionally stable person), taking care of my heart (heart condition), decorating our new living room...the list just goes on and on.

I'm trying to actually feel my own feelings rather than dismiss them, trying to emotionally detach from the stress and anxiety that has been surrounding me rather than reacting to emotional stress in negative, self-destructive manners. But it is so difficult to do this when the sources of my stress and anxiety are all around me - my bf, my sister, my mother, my father, my pets, my home, the business...

So, I made a wonderful decision on Saturday and I am proud of myself for actually following through with it - I decided that I needed to detach from ALL of it, both physically and emotionally, so I packed a few days worth of clothes, hopped in my Jetta, and headed to my aunt & uncle's house for a few days. They live about 2 hours away, so it felt great to actually have some physical distance between myself and the various sources of my stress and anxiety. I've actually had some "me" time, time to think without distraction, time to do some much needed soul searching. I wish I could stay a bit longer, but I do have responsibilities to get back to at home, so I'm leaving on Wednesday and heading back to good ol' Louisiana. But I am confident that I am going to return a much different person - it's amazing what a few days of peace can do to a person, the clarity that serenity brings to one's life.

Just wanted to share this "ah ha" moment with all of you. I'm in a good place right now (emotionally that is), and plan on staying there for a while.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. Sometimes a change of scene is just what's needed to give a fresh perspective.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too think that getting away for a few days is a wonderful idea. A change of scenery and people can give us a clearer perspective and refresh our minds.

Your recovery is shining here.

Hugs
Old 09-06-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i am glad you got away. it does all of us good to take time for us. saying a prayer for you. you have a lot going on.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Great!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's amazing what a few days away from it all can do for us! Glad you were able to escape for a little while and find some peace.
gentle hugs
ke
Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had another great day today, spent some time with my cousins and went antique-hunting around town. Found some really great antiques for my house - old stuff makes me happy Headed home tomorrow and wish I could stay a bit longer, but overall being away from home for a few days was exactly what I needed. Getting away was the best decision I have made in a long time.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Good for you -

for me self-care is a big part of my recovery - keeping my balance to do what is healthy and recovery oriented for me helps me make sound and balanced decisions.

Enjoy the rest and have a safe trip home to good ole Louisiana!!

PINK HUGS,
Rita