Is this my codie coming out?!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this my codie coming out?!

So my 20 year old AS was released from jail almost one month ago. So far so good!! He finally after 2 years got a job (full time) after work each day he is going to the gym amd on Mondays going to individual counseling and a 2 hour NA group. Other than the above he is not doing anything, he sits at home with us (which I love)... What I mean by that is he is not talking to any friends. In the past his friends were everything and he was never at home.

So I am finding myself feeling bad for him cause I think he is lonely. 3 months ago I wished he didnt hang out with any friends.. now that he is not I feel bad for him.. What's wrong with this picture!! I keep having to remind myself that this is good for him and as hard as it is for him and how lonely he maybe, this is probably a part of his recovery??
Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ans

I have done the same thing with "old friends". It could be those people really weren't true friends, maybe just "party friends". More than likely those old friends aren't calling him or wanting to hangout because they found out he is in recovery. Sure it gets lonely not going out with friends, but we have to put our recovery first. If he has one true friend who isn't an addict maybe call them up and tell them what is going on. It may take true friends awhile to trust that he is sober, but they will come around.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Is my codie coming out?"

YEP, big time . . . are you thinking about yourself as much as you are worrying about your AS and his lonely feelings??? I'm not trying to be mean or smart alleck or anything. I'm just saying, if he were lonely, don't you think he's old enough to deal with that? If he wanted to go somewhere, don't you think he's capable of doing that? Let him take care of himself and you take care of yourself.

Go about your life - pretty simple stuff if we remember to do it.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JMFburns.. Your absolutley right!! I am so use to trying to "fixing" things I am not looking
at me Thank you, sometimes things need to be put into propspective!!!