friend tells me not to cry

Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

friend tells me not to cry

Me and a friend were talking about a mutual friend of ours who is on the downward spiral with drug addiction. She made some comments that he's killing himself with his drug addiction. I tried holding back the tears.

I want to be strong. She tells me not to cry. I try not to when she talked how he was doing. I try to avoid the guy now just because its too heartbreaking and know he's lying about his drug addiction.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you feel sad, then cry. There's nothing in the world wrong with crying; it can be very cathartic. Go ahead and get it out, BUT, don't dwell on it. It's good that you avoid your addict friend. There is nothing you can do for him. Take care of yourself, and it might help to go completely no contact with him. That also means not discussing him with others who know him. The less you know about what he is doing, the less it can affect you.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Crying has nothing to do with being strong. Strong people cry too.

It's okay to cry for those who are sadly lost in addiction, it's okay to cry for ourselves. Crying is natural and helps get out emotions out.

But it's good to have a good cry and then do something good for ourselves. We don't need to slip into a depressed sad state, we can just express our sadness and then find joy in life because it's out there for us to find.

Hugs
Old 04-23-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, crying actually helps me let go. It gets that 'stuff' out of my system so I cry often! Then I feel better and stronger for it.

There is nothing wrong with feeling sadness for your friend and expressing it.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tears bring cleansing to our souls... and your friend who is in 'denial' right now who is doing drugs, maybe he'd appreciate you just going up to him, giving him a hug and saying you love him (without getting into it).

He may not change his addictive behaviors, but at least you be acting like yourself and treating him like... a friend.