Charlie Sheen ex. of how interventions DONT work

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

juvenile... delinquent

Sometimes I do wonder if the celebs get too much attention which blows things out of proportion which in turn makes them feel like a delinquent teen being lectured/disciplined by their parents which in turn makes them rebel ie do the exact opposite to just proove a point in their mind anyway.

I'm not saying having the police called multiple times for your behavior is something to be ignored or are the obvious signs of a problem or two. That over attention frequently played out in the press makes these celebs want diss that same public and media.

But that same attention makes them millionares. So just like the theme of this thread the individual has to DECIDE for themselves what they want.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
But that same attention makes them millionares.
Until it makes them unemployable. Very difficult to stay employed in the television industry if you're not reliable, the drinking/drugging gets in the way of the production, after a bit the money people say 'I give up' they get fired, television survives without them.

I'm sure if you google it you can find a lot of artists/entertainers in different venues that drank/drugged themselves out of a career or straight to the grave.

Chris Farley and John Belushi are the first ones that come to mind.

Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Judy Garland, William Holden, Marilyn Monroe, F. Scott Fitzgerald, the list goes on and on.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Until it makes them unemployable...
For what ever reason I think Robert Downey realized this or at least his handlers convinced him.

But does Charlie Sheen really want to act, be part of the industry or just make money. I think part of his problem especially since it's an older show he's at the point now where he thinks he can mail it in. He's too comfortable. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I hope the show/staff and his handlers that enabled him so far at least realize the gravity of the situation.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
For what ever reason I think Robert Downey realized this or at least his handlers convinced him.

But does Charlie Sheen really want to act, be part of the industry or just make money. I think part of his problem especially since it's an older show he's at the point now where he thinks he can mail it in. He's too comfortable. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I hope the show/staff and his handlers that enabled him so far at least realize the gravity of the situation.
No, I think Mr.Downey found his bottom all by himself.

And he's always had a pretty good reputation as an actor. So when he 'recovered' it didn't take him very long to resurrect his career, hell, he's enjoyed the best success in his life after he got clean/sober.

Television is a different beast, a very short attention span combined with a brutal production schedule makes unreliable people unemployed people in pretty short order.

By definition addicts/alcoholics are unreliable.

And the folks that call the shots know this. If Charlie doesn't get his act together, he probably won't be gracing the small screen with his presence much longer.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What's suprised me about Sheen's show is that the ratings didn't plumit. They might not be great but I can't believe their isn't more fan reaction.

I know I can't look at the show right now without thinking there goes troubled/high Charlie. It's been years since I've been a regular viewer but I can't even watch an entire episode right now. I know I've seen news photos over the last year and he looks like crap. He frequently looks under weight, pale and ghostly which sooner or later won't be able to be covered up with make-up or filmed around.

I guess his employers won't react until the fans do with their wallets and viewing habits.