New here...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...

Hey everyone, I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I posted a quick summary of my situation in the "Newcomers" section titled "my life with an addict.." I was told to come to this section also and have met some of the nicest people so far
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello QteeKitty and Welcome to SR!

This is a great place! Stick around, read and ask questions. So many folks to share their Experience, Strength, and Hope (ES&H) with you.

Glad you found us!

Hugs, HG
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read your post in the other forum.

Seems you feel stuck because you have no place to go and don't make enough money to make rent on your own. You also mentioned that as long as you remain where you are, he has no motivation to stop.

Where did you live prior to becoming financially dependent upon him? Lots of people do not make enough money to make rent on their own. They share the rent with roommates.

Addiction is progressive. Whether you stay or leave is not going to impact the outcome. You are not that powerful. None of us are.

Living with someone in active addiction is hell. You can't change him but you can take responsibility for yourself and your own outcome, any time you want to do so.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Before living with my bf I had moved around a few times. My parents moved to FL and I stayed here in NY. Before I moved in with him, I was living with my sister for a short period of time, then she moved out of the way a bit and is in the process of now losing her apartment due to being laid off.

Even the rent for roomates/shared housing ect, is expensive for my area. On Craigslist there's a section for roomates ect... It's still pricey for a rroom for rent.

It's frustrating that there is no middle ground for living situations; It's either crazy rent rates, or you would have to qualify for government help. There's no middle ground and it shouldn't be like that.