reliving past to find answers for present

Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

reliving past to find answers for present

I have recently posted about finally leaving Ah for good, I also earlier this year posted about my dad's death suddenly 6 hours after leaving ER misdiagnosis.

For years I posted I believed my father was a legal addict, yes in pain but legal addict, before the injuries and pain he smoked weed regularly since 14.
Today I wasnt to post something else: Just 1 of the hundred of newspaper articles about the doctor who treated my dad for atleast 15 years, the doctor who gave him more oxy than Ive seen anyone use and the doctor that for the months before dying never took xrays just prescribed antibiotic after antibiotic, I dont know why the family is only going after hospital for wrongful death, the dr should have known months before, but regardless

Five-year investigation results in arrest of two doctors
Clinics in Sanford, Orange City were ordered closed
September 28, 2010|By Gary Taylor, Orlando Sentinel

Two doctors are under arrest and medical clinics in Sanford and Orange City have been shuttered as part of a five-year investigation into improper prescriptions for pain drugs.

Ten patients also face charges.

All are accused of conspiracy to traffic in opiates.
Ads by Google

* Identity Theft ProtectionAllClear ID Gives Your Identity Protection from Theft. Sign Up Now! AllClearID.com
* Criminal RecordsView Anyone's Criminal History! Criminal History Reports in Seconds InstantCheckMate.com

Advertisement

Agents arrested Dr. Ralph Chambers Jr., 61, and Dr. Neil Stringer, 51, on charges they were operating pill mills where virtually unlimited amounts of prescription narcotics were dispensed to anyone who walked through the doors, Volusia County Sheriff's spokesman Gary Davidson said.

Stringer was identified by Davidson as an office manager and counselor for the two clinics operated by Chambers. Chambers also faces a charge of Medicaid fraud, he said.

The investigation, dubbed "Operation Script Writer," was launched in May 2005 by the multi-agency Volusia Bureau of Investigation after victims of overdose deaths were determined to be patients of Chambers, Davidson said.

Chambers operated New Hope Health & Wellness on Enterprise Road in Orange City and New Hope Family Care on Medical Plaza Drive in Sanford, Davidson said. The state Attorney General's Office today closed both clinics.

Both clinics and two Sanford pharmacies were raided last year as part of the investigation.

Those pharmacies, Discount Rx and Tru-Valu Drugs, handled prescriptions from Chambers for more than 190,000 pills in a three-month period, Davidson said. While there were other narcotics involved, Oxycodone was by far the most frequently prescribed drug, he said.

The two clinics showed classic signs of being pill mills, Davidson said.

They were cash-only operations unless Chambers filed Medicaid claims, he said.

"Patients who complained of pain were barely examined or not examined at all before large doses of powerful narcotics – most frequently Oxycodone – were prescribed," Davidson said.

"Oxycodone is a heavily-abused narcotic pain reliever that has been determined to be a contributing cause in many fatal drug overdoses," he said.

An out-of-state expert who reviewed Chambers' clinical records concluded most of the prescriptions were issued for illegitimate and non-medical reasons, Davidson said.

"This is dangerous, and demonstrates clinically reckless disregard for the health and safety of the patient," the doctor is quoted as saying.

After reviewing one patient's file, he told agents "the prescribed medications should have threatened the health, and even life, of the patient," Davidson said.
My dad had a disease and degenerative condition, but it was the pills that caused all the symptoms he was feeling, pharamists told me long before he'd die from the meds not the disease, he was never UAed nothing. When complained of cold, congestion just prescribed antibiotic after antibiotic, and not examined.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That being said, I never had a close relationship with my dad, I can give a 100 reasons but its really not necessary. However, when I stopped dealing with AH long enough and 6 months after he passed started doing grief work and dealing with my feelings guilt and shame over my dad and childhood and young adulthood, after my stepbrother who is as close as a biological brother said, I heard him tell you to stay away (it was the drug paranoia) only after acceptance of that did the feelings and recovery of AH begin to flow and did I even though separated for the zillionth time, did I actually let go.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

only after acceptance of that did the feelings and recovery of AH begin to flow and did I even though separated for the zillionth time, did I actually let go.
It seems as though it has been a long struggle for you CWK, but thank you for telling that story and letting me know that you can let go.
I hope with acceptance comes peace.

Beth

my father died from alcohol induced cirrhosis. he died while i waited for something from him, anything.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cinderellawkids View Post
... only after acceptance of that did the feelings and recovery of AH begin to flow...
I recently had an awakening like that. It didn't happen in therapy, it happened during a casual conversation with a friend. Something he said made me go back in time - really far back - and it was like watching dominoes rapidly fall inside my head. I saw that virtually every stress response from me started from that one thing. It was a classic moment of clarity and overwhelming, too. I started crying and didn't stop until I was done.

I'm happy for you being on the other side, and hope the new year brings you serenity