repost for unrealpain - please read

Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
it is what it is

repost for unrealpain - please read

(i'm posting this for unrealpain on a new thread so she may get more responses for her situation - i hope i haven't acted inappropriately - i know it's under my name but didn't know any other way to post it)

My son is 23, he's addicted to prescription drugs, shoots up oxy, Last night he walked out the front door and hasn't been back. He's never, ever done that before and I don't know where to turn.
He's out of control and I want to find him. Is it common for an addict to just turn away from everything? I guess so, I really don't know how to get through this. It is pain like I had never imagined.
Please help me. What do I do now?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it's common for A's (addicts) to turn away from everything. I'm an RA (recovering addict) and I turned my back on everyone and everything for crack. I had to face some pretty rough circumstances before I finally sought recovery.

I'm also a recovering codependent (codie) and have A's in my life. SR has been a great help to me, in both recoveries.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
it is what it is

unrealpain - i hope you don't mind me bringing you here to hopefully get more feedback - please post under your own name so that even more will be aware of your situation - i also have AS who is presently in jail for an extended time due to possession and burglary - i don't know all your circumstances but most of the time the best thing to do next is to take care of yourself - check into Al-anon meetings or Naranon if you can find one near you - remember the three c's which we have all had to accept in order to move forward with our own lives - you didn't cause it , you can't control it , and you cannot cure it - usually letting your loved one experience the consequences of his addiction is best while you take care of yourself so that when he gets sick and tired of being sick and tired you will be able to help him and in the meantime you will have set him an example of recovery - keep reading and posting here there are so many wise and compassionate people who will come beside you and help you through -
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess my 1st question would be is it ok with you to have an active addict living in your home? As soon as mine turned 18-out she went.I will not support drug use by giving a nice place to live, food,clean clothes etc. so they can spend their money on drugs.I am wondering what boundaries you have in place? Active addicts do all sorts of odd things..you have no control over any of it.I go to alanon and it has helped me enormously. I do not enable bad behaviors anymore.