The OT Chit Chat Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

HAHAHAHAHA FGB, and you know I just moved recently and did decide that I was too old to deal with real winters, that this was the best I could do for 4 seasons. I would be terrified to try to drive with snow and ice anymore!

I guess I just have my larders stocked enough that I could love a huge big snow as long as it all melted one week later! LOL I should just fly in up north for a week, eh?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

As for baking, I usually do chocolate chip cookies.

Oh, and I found a good gift idea for two of RAH's cousins (who are both girls).

I made myself an earring holder a few months ago out of mesh and a wooden frame. I still have leftover mesh, so we'll buy some cheap wooden frames and make one.

Here is the link I found for instructions to try it: How to Make a Homemade Earring Holder | eHow.com

That should be super cheap and functional.

It's the boys I have a hard time shopping for. What in the world does a 13 year old boy want for Christmas? I'm so clueless.

As far as reading goes, I've got my "Genre" pile waiting to read. In my graduate program, we're not "allowed" to write genre (sci-fi/fantasy/horror, etc.) So, I save up all of my genre for the breaks.

Last break I finished a great fantasy series by George RR Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire Series). HBO is turning the books into a series that will be out in April (A Game of Thrones). GREAT reading. I read my bloody eyes out.

Now, I'm starting the Dresden series which I hear is pretty good.

As for straight-up literary fiction,
I did fall in love with Jhumpa Lahiri over the last year. She's a wonderful author (wrote the book, "The Namesake" which is a movie). I highly recommend her short stories as well.

And, I've been perusing Sherman Alexie as well.

TOMORROW IS TRON. RAH and I are both sick as dogs (sicker than sick) but we are getting the cough drops and holing up in the theater to watch some 3D goodness. We see maybe 3-4 movies a year together, so this is very special for us.

ITSATRUTH, I may PM you for that recipe. It sounds really good. My husband makes amazing ground turkey meatballs (for spaghetti). I love me some meatballs.

CATSPAJAMAS, I can't believe I forgot ELF. I am a HARD audience when it comes to comedies (I find things funny, but never really let out those big, belly laughs unless it's truly brilliant). And Will Ferrell always makes me laugh so hard--especially ELF.

LIVE, nothing as good as homemade noodles. My gran made them and used to put them in her homemade chicken soup. Too good to describe.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Parentsneedhelp-

I have some great ones for you !

I have been making the same group of Christmas cookies since 1980's, when i came across an article in Mother Earth Magazine, called Christmas cookie contest(or something like that-you can find online)

the cherry walnut bars are absolutely habit forming!
the double mocha walnut chocolate chip ones are heavenly.
there are about 10 recipes, and i tried all but the fruit cake cookies- that did not entice me!
look these up online, and you will NOT be disappointed. As I say, i do them each year, give as gifts, and now my girls have started making them too.
if you try them , let me know what you think.

hugs,
chicory
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Went into NYC for the day to see all the shop window displays, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center and the tree and ice skaters, Grand Central, etc....Just lots of fun. No planned agenda, just walking and stopping where we wanted when we wanted; and of course a super yummy lunch at a neat spot. Not as crazy busy on a Monday as weekends are. Don't do the city often, so it was a special treat with the family.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

anyone have any good baking ideas for christmas cookies??
[/QUOTE]

MOTHER' S CHRISTMAS COOKIE CONTEST: THE TOP 10

here is the link for the cookies that i love the best and make every year.

hugs
chicory
Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ok so I have been racking my brain all day trying to come up with cheep christmas activities to do with my girls 12 and 7, while I'm off work thurs and Fri andof course the weekend. The most I can come up with is to make gingerbread tree ornimants to pass out as little gifts. If any one has any sujestions on what to use to decorate them I would love to hear them. also if any one has any sujestions on cheep christmas activities for the kids that would be great also. It's been a tough year for all of us and I just want to have some extra fun with my girls for Christmas. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Barbiebg32 -- Hi there... Here's something that was fun to do with my kids, and meaningful. Have your girls make an old fashioned collage. All you need is cardboard, and glue, old magazines and scizzors. Perhaps if you want to get some glitter and stickers it just adds to the fun. I liked having my kids do a "christmas collage". I asked them to incorporate into the collage whats 'important' about christmas... what it means to them, what they wish for (FOR OTHER PEOPLE). It can be something to save, hang in their rooms, and gives room for dialogue. It's a way for them to express themselves, play, create art, and to 'think' outside the box about what blessings others may need....

Just an idea.
Take care,
Cess
Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What a great idea Cessy...how fun to make something that comes with memories! My son made me an ornament when he was little & it's one of my favorite things; I keep it on my dresser.

Barbie, ornaments are a great idea. If you have a craft store like Michael's nearby, they have lots of paint, glitter, metallic pens, etc that might work (depending what your gingerbread ornaments are made from). Also, I've seen glass ornaments decorated with pop-out (?) paint that can be personalized with year/name/whatever. One idea I do with my kids every year is to get pieces of wood in craft stores.They are small and in different shapes. We put family pictures on them, decorate with paint/glitter, then add a magnet to the back and it's an instant personalized refrigerator magnet.

Have fun!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

cessy68 and itisatruth, those are wonderful ideas. I love them both. Looks like we will have a fun filled weekend full of crafts. Thank you so much. And yes we do have a michaels and a hobby lobby close by. Now which one do I brave 3 days before Christmas. LOL I will keep yall posted on how it all goes.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow what a crazy busy weekend. But it was a great weekend. Well aside for my AH pouting most of the weekend. He said his feelings were hurt because he wasn't allowed at my parents house for Christmas. Well I guess he should have thought of that before putting me and my girls through H*ll this past year. Anyway I told him that I wasn't gonna ruen the girls Christmas because he decided to be a DA this year. And me and the girls went with out him. Left him there to sulk. I know this sounds bitter but I'm tired of bending over backwards to make him happy and getting nothing in return. (like him acting like a real man.)
Anyway sorry about the short rant. We ended up doing the gingerbread tree orniments. After a few trips to the store we finally got them made and painted.We had a blast doing it and they all came out so cute. That was the only craft activity we had time to do but I think I'm gonna do the collauge for the new year this weekend. The girls just absolutely loved doing crafts with me this weekend so I think I'm gonna do it with them more often.
Well I hope every one had a wonderful Christmas. God bless. †
Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I got a Street Fighter game for my kinect..I highly reccomend it for agression release..kicking some big dude's a$% was very therapuetic!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Merry christmas all!!
Had my gastric bypass surgery nov 22 and I'm 40lbs lighter now.
Had everyone over for Christmas dinner, actually had the neighbors over Christmas Eve then the kids and grandkids Christmas day.
work on sunday, thats stunk, but its a job
have to go to work with all this snow we got but once off the side streets its not bad.
RAS is still doing well but I'm still concerned about the clean oldest son, I think he's gotten himself in trouble with percocets but of course won't admit it, but he's 35 yrs old so his problem unless he asks for my help or opinion.
All is well with the daughter, she doesn't give me a problem ever.

great thread thanks

Ronnie
Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sooo happy the holiday is behind us. Really relieved. Just wasn't feeling it this year but the son got a wii! Not enough holiday baked goodies though. I don't bake so send whatever you've got my way!

Today I went back to work after an extended weekend off and I was actually HAPPY to be working. I think I need the structure or my mind goes to all sorts of bizarre places and I tend to get depressed this time of year. I was very productive, even a co worker commented on how I was zipping around.

Last week I got my 'hair did'. Cut it a bit shorter but need to touch up my highlights (and hide some greys!). It is always great therapy! Speaking of therapy, my therapist met with me Sunday and I was so greatful that she did. She is really helping me a lot.

Have been quieter than usual (I'm pretty social) because my bestest gal pals are out of town. No partners in crime for now. One of them briefly dated the RABF which sort of weirds me out but it was ages ago. He did call and he sounded really good and was really more like himself finally. That self I really LIKE.

My mom gave me this faux leopard fur jacket and I need a place to wear it, or I'll wear it around the house.. or when I post in SR dahlinks.

Today I got the best compliment at work; a couple of co-workers remarked how it seems unbelievable that I have a teenage son because I don't look old enough (43)! Must be the new 'do. And in re-reading this I sound sorta superficial! haha But I like girly things.