Are you looking forward to the holidays?....or not?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Italy sounds incredible! I'm so happy for you!!! ....and now I'm hungry for pizza!!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
Yes, this is the way it SHOULD be but for me (and many others in the world) it's not. My parents are dead, my only sister and I have parted ways (a good thing), my husband and I are separated, I've spent all my money on treatment for my daughter's debilitating mental illness, and I even had to adopt out my beloved dog when I moved. I will do my best to find an angle that lifts me up for the season but it's not always so easy. I wish it were.
I wish you nothing but positive energy and happiness this holiday season.

*hugs*
Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
tam

this will be my 1st thanksgiving without my hubby and 2nd christmas..Im going to be home alone thanksgiving, brothers are going to their spouses families and my niece/nephew are going to their deceased moms family house. I was getting upset over this, but I know I will manage to get through the day.
on friday I will be having dinner with my family,so that helps. christmas will be as usual, big breakfast with my brothers and the kids..I like christmas and looking forward to it this year cause my brothers are always good to me (Im seriouly like a little kid) LOL..
but I will admit I am somewhat down as well having going through a divorce and funds are limited, but going to try my best to be happy. I am however
thankful, thankful for my family,thankful for my health and thankful for another holiday..
Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ok, I went online and signed up for two volunteer opportunities: Sponsoring an elderly person and their pets for the holidays, which includes preparing a meal and gifts and delivering them. The other is to sign up for shifts wrapping gifts at Barnes & Noble that benefits a no-kill, special needs pet shelter. I have a tender spot in my heart for dogs, cats and "old people", especially lonely ones, but I'm not a very good conversationalist and that makes me reluctant to sign up for 'visits' -- but stepping out of my comfort zone is probably a good thing.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
Ok, I went online and signed up for two volunteer opportunities: Sponsoring an elderly person and their pets for the holidays, which includes preparing a meal and gifts and delivering them. The other is to sign up for shifts wrapping gifts at Barnes & Noble that benefits a no-kill, special needs pet shelter. I have a tender spot in my heart for dogs, cats and "old people", especially lonely ones, but I'm not a very good conversationalist and that makes me reluctant to sign up for 'visits' -- but stepping out of my comfort zone is probably a good thing.
Those sound wonderful! I should be done with this semester around Dec. 5th, and then I think I'm going to find some volunteer opportunities too!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well this thread sure has turned around!Inspiring!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

my loved one is in hospital and has been there for the past 3 weeks, I'm dying with worries and can't contact him I hope he won't be still there when the holidays come, else I'm going to have a very sad Christmas. His life is in danger so I'm more and more depressed every day seeing he's not at home yet, so I'll be a wreck soon.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am not looking foward to the holidays.

My plans are to stay home likely and keep working on me. This will be my first Thanksgiving without AH in 30 years ans first Christmas,then new Years and then our anniversary is Valentines day.

However, I am not dwelling on that at this point.

I may change my mind and go to my brothers for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

One particularly nice (and wonderful thing) about SR is that there will be lots of us in and out of here on turkey day. Maybe we can have a special T'giving Day thread to give and receive support for one another. We have all been in each others shoes at one time or another and to me - there is nothing like that sort of support.

I am so thankful for my SR friends (ok....you guys know that you are actually family).
Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think that you are just in the first phase of Codie Christmas.....

1- Denial (too much to even think about......just want to run away!)

2- Anxiety (never enough time or money to really do what you'd like to do!)

3- Panic (Oh Crap, it is coming too fast, I have to do something....anything!)

4- Overindulgence (What the hell, I'll worry about paying for it in January...)

5- Guilt (January)

Like the stages of grief, my holiday spirit goes through a very predictable set of stages.

Awareness has been my first step in dealing with it and getting back to the joyous, loving time that it is supposed to be. I had to make some new boundaries for myself, my XAH and my kids.

Hang in there, y'all
Babs