What are your triggers?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are your triggers?

My main trigger is feeling fear. Fear that something will happen to someone I love, fear that things will be overwhelming, fear that I won't measure up, fear of rejection, fear of things changing, fear of things not changing. When I feel fear I feel out of control, unable to think, then comes a panic attack with thoughts running in every direction.

I've had other triggers like feeling anger, feeling self righteous, feeling this overly strict sense of fairness and justice that I've had to just try to let go of because the world is constantly unfair. I assign all that mess to the karma police.

Sometimes I read threads on SR that can trigger me, and it's stuff I see in myself maybe even subconsciously or something that is totally impersonal but I apply it to myself.. and why do I do that?

How I deal with triggers, is I talk to people on SR or in meetings, I try to deep breathe and meditate, lord I try to give it all up but sometimes I fail. I know everyone of us deals with triggers all the time, so what do you do when you're triggered and what triggers you? I'll feel fine one day and then bam I'm triggered and I try to stay balanced, sometimes it's hard. Just wondered what other people do to stay centered. And thanks guys. I hope talking about it helps others, including myself.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get triggered by patronizing or condescending tones or people. Being 'talked down' to or like I'm a moron. I hate that and it makes me quite upset. Maybe it is the feeling that I have to prove something of myself. I don't but that is what it tells me that I'm not doing something effectively. Also if people don't like me, I mean not everyone in the world is going to like you or find you as someone they enjoy being around but I take that type of rejection hard. Like me!!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're a very cool person Babyblue. I do like you. I understand that feeling of wanting people to accept me I hate feeling rejection because I feel unwanted back in jr high school again.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am going to think on this some more. I needed to read this today, as I am trying to work on what triggers me, and how I react to it.
Thanks for this thread.

Gotahavfaith
Old 11-17-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

right now everything trigger sme it seems, I am at least now usually able to pause and think before I react but not always. The other day the sales ads triggered me. Just seeing the Christmas items killed me inside.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quickly off the top of my head is when my AS calls me because he is in physical pain. Actually when I think about it, it is when any of my children call me because they are in physical pain. When I think even deeper about it, it is when ANYBODY calls me for help because they are in physical pain.

From reading all these posts, esp the ones where the addicted loved one is in a fast spiral downward, I am trying to prepare myself for when my AS calls me because of some physical pain he has that would be directly due to his drug/alcohol use. I remember a mother some time back who posted here that her son was calling her because he needed some kind of surgery, I think because of a fight he had been in. She told him to get himself to a hospital to get it taken care of, but otherwise she stayed out of it. That mother then came here and doubled up on her recovery support. Wow! I thought to myself, "Self, you are going to have to have that kind of major detachment one of these days. Be ready for it."

So that's my trigger and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Triggers.........oh my........so many triggers so little time. lol

Mean people. They trigger me but I'm getting better at not giving them the upper hand.

My son's "poor me" diatribes.....those really trigger me.

I'm sure I could list a bajillion of them but the bottom line is......triggers create a feeling that I can't describe. I'm learning to recognize that "feeling" and react very differently than I have most of my life (or not react at all). So I'm finding that triggers are less of a factor for me than they have been in the past......and that's a very GOOD thing!

This was an interesting thread....thank you!

gentle hugs
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tam

when I hear a message from my attorney, receive a letter from my attorney, and yesterday receiving a letter for upcoming court, it triggers anger

when I think of how physically ill and mentally deranged my husband is it triggers sadness

when I think he will pass away it triggers panic and sadness

when I think that maybe,just maybe if I did something different he would
be sober, it triggers guilt

when I think I will have to see him in court it triggers extreme sadness and fear/anxiety to see him so ill.

when I think of what he has done and what he has become and hurting me it triggers disgrace.

when things are quiet and I dont have to do legal things and I can chat and laugh with coworkers it triggers happiness.

when I think about the upcoming holidays it triggers depression and wanting to run away and hide.

when people tell me stupid problems it triggers annoyance

when people tell me happy things, again it triggers sadness

but regardless, this too shall pass, Im not alone and just got to get through it.
thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get triggered by my daughter complaining to me..especially about things i am paying for!! Thankfully I was able to put the kibosh on that.

One little new thing can trigger a flood of resentment in me. It is something I am working on, but emotionally I can go right back to whatever happened in the past if something similar happens now...I can't remeber what I ate for breakfast, but man can I remember what my husbands mother said to me 20 years ago!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

oh I have lots of triggers . . .

the sound of a pill bottle
the pop of a beer can
or even the ring of a phone can be a trigger if I'm HALT (hungry, angry, lonely or tired)

Then if i'm doing ok but happen to see someone . . .
drunk
slurring their speech
falling asleep sitting up

these can put me in a bad place

I can't stand to be around ANGRY people

it puts me in a 1,000 forms of FEAR

Geez - still have lots of triggers that cause me to use 100% of the tools of recovery

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm facing lots of triggers getting this first year as newly divorced. The last several years my family and I (which included xah), sister her family, all did the same thing every christmas. Went to Mil's, then my family's then a h20 park for a few days. This year will be different. We're going to my parents lakehouse for a relaxing 3-4 days. Just going through these firsts, I'm facing LOTS of triggers.

It does remind me of why I'm glad I'm not in those dark places anymore. I was very deep and very dark. I'm glad that I can make my future whatever I choose to make it. I don't have to envelope xah's addiction anymore.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tam View Post
when I hear a message from my attorney, receive a

when I think that maybe,just maybe if I did something different he would
be sober, it triggers guilt.

This, is a big one for me I keep telling myself if I had went to alanon sooner and worked on my codependency sooner I would have handled things different and then would not be using. I know that is not true but attimes I think it.

Originally Posted by tam View Post
when I think about the upcoming holidays it triggers depression and wanting to run away and hide.
That one holds true for me as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
it is what it is

"This, is a big one for me I keep telling myself if I had went to alanon sooner and worked on my codependency sooner I would have handled things different and then would not be using. I know that is not true but attimes I think it." quote from crazybabie
it seems my strongest trigger is thinking about times that i did one thing but now think i should have done something different - taking the guilt of his using on myself - it takes a while to shake that feeling
Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know about regrets. I wish I had gotten into recovery way sooner but I was told that IT took what it took. I know that sounds like a cliche but I wasn't ready to find recovery till I was ready. I am still working on trying to forgive myself, it coming in slow bits.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wish I had gotten into recovery way sooner but I was told that IT took what it took.

So damn very true and depressing. But it is what it is. The harder I fought, the deeper I fell. So did not see it @ the time. I thought I was the 'trooper' back then. I admire my fight, but hate how far I fell because of it.