What about Suboxone?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What about Suboxone?

Hello all,
My husband (with whom I am separated) recently relapsed. And for the first time sought help on his own. He said he was afraid he would spiral out of control again and he could not afford to take off from work for a month to go to rehab not to mention his insurance doesn't cover it. He went once before to rehab while we were together.

I am proud of him for taking the initiative to get help on his own. But I was wondering if any of you know much about Suboxone? (not sure if I am spelling it right) He is in a outpatient rehabilitation program and the doc is giving him this drug and indicates it could be long term. Is this necessary for some? Do you think it is a good alternative to traditional rehab? Will this reduce the chances of him relapsing? He still hopes we can get back together someday and I feel it is my obligation to him and my vows. But I am so scared to go back. I am finally at a good place. Just need to know what I am up against with this Suboxone program. Any words of wisdom from those of you who have had experience with this drug would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Cynical. That was very informative. You hit the nail on the head when you said it's not a miracle pill but a better option than using. He is 52 and this has been a real struggle for him. He appears to have no self control when it comes to his addictions. Maybe this will help. Your reference to some playing the recovery game also gave me something to think about because he has done that in the past. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,
My son is on suboxone, and now has 70 days clean. For him it seems to be working. He got into trouble and realized he needed to straighten out. He has been going to meetings and seeing a Dr. for the drug. They say everyone is different as far as how long they stay on it. I think with my son part of it is mental but whatever works. I have an older son who has been through numerous rehabs, and relapses so we thought we would try this. It is expensive we are lucky his insurance is covering it but not the 150.00 dr, visit. We go again this week and they told us there is a new form out that he is going to try. It is a paper that you put under your tongue instead of the pills.

I was leery of him trying it figuring he is just substituting one drug for another but I am very happy with how it is working. Hopefully it will be the little bit of help your husband needs. It will only work if he wants it to. Best of luck.