New here and could use some help

Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here and could use some help

Hello all.

This is my first post on this forum (it wont be my last I'm sure). Most of my life has been shadowed by the effects of addiction. It is not my own addictions that I have had to deal with, its my siblings. My oldest sister is currently serving 10 years in state prison on a felony drug charge. Her vice was crack-cocaine. My other sister is a recovered meth and cocaine addict. I say recovered from meth and cocaine, but now she has a severe problem with prescription pills. Specifically, dilaudid and xanax. She lost custody of 4 out of her 5 children as a result of her previous addictions. She was sober for about 2 1/2 years until she suffered from a back injury about 5 months ago. Since then, she has changed into the addict again. She is back to stealing, lying, manipulating to get her way and its breaking my heart. I was still a teenager when I went through this before. I find that I am having a harder time with the addiction this time. I could really use some helpful advise from someone who has maybe had similar circumstances. It would be wonderful. I thank you in advance for reading this.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR VJohnson. Glad you found us.

So sorry to hear about your sisters' problems. It's so difficult to watch those we love making such bad choices for their lives. How has this been affecting YOU? This isn't your burden to carry, you know. You have a right to live a calm life with serenity regardless of what your sisters choose for their own lives.

Hope you'll stick around and read and post a lot. We are here to support YOU.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Welcome

:day6
Attending Alanon meetings regularly and working the program helped me learn how to detach for my own well-being.
You can find meeting schedule for your area online.

Thankfully, it appears you were spared addiction...that is certainly a big reason to live in gratitude.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Welcome, so sorry that you have to go through this, yet again.

I have no real advice, except to say that you need to concentrate on you. There is really nothing you can do for your sister, it is up to her.

Keep posting, it will help.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for responding. I do hold a lot of feelings toward their addictions because of the toll it takes on not only my sister, but the toll it takes on my parents. We had all hoped that the worst of the addictions are over. My oldest sister is due to get out of prison next year and I believe with every ounce of me that she will never go back to that life. I believe that addiction is something that doesn’t fade over time; you simply need to find something healthy/productive to be addicted to. I know that she will find her way when she is back home. It’s my other sister that has me worried. She’s constantly is falling into the cycle of addiction. As horrible as this may sound, I am not worried about her, as much as I am worried about her children. I have seen what this has done to not only my younger sibling and I, but to the eldest’s children. They hardly remember their mother. That’s the part that makes me lose sleep at night. They do not deserve this. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. I try to disconnect, but I am having a ridiculously hard time.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi VJohnson,

I have a brother & mother who are meth users. I went to my first nar-anon meeting recently and it was wonderful. Everyone was so nice, and it felt great to be surrounded by caring people who have been there / done that. See if there is a meeting near you, you'll feel so much better afterwards.

As heartbreaking as it is to watch our loved ones go down that path, it isn't our responsibility to rescue them. I have just realized that. I had to let them go & focus on my husband and daughter, and it's been such a relief.

Hugs to you!!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
it is what it is

welcome vjohnson - you will find much encouragement and wisdom here - keep coming back - and take care of you - your sisters will have to find their own way no matter what you do so your efforts will be best spent on you -
Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by litehorse View Post
welcome vjohnson - you will find much encouragement and wisdom here - keep coming back - and take care of you - your sisters will have to find their own way no matter what you do so your efforts will be best spent on you -

Well said!!