I don't know

Old 07-15-2010, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know

I don't know what I am doing.

I met a man, who is a little rough around the edges, but a beautiful person none the less. We have definitely already fallen quite strongly for each other.

I come from a place where drug use is a non-issue. It just doesn't happen.
He recently let me know that he is a recovering crack addict. He has been clean for two years.
I told him that it was fine, as long as it was in the past, but if it happens again, I am out.

After a few weeks, it is still weighing heavy on my heart. I really don't know what it means to be dating a recovering addict. I don't know what to expect. I suppose I am looking for some insight.

I don't know what to look for, what to be skeptical about, or how to support him. Or even if that is my responsibility?

We still drink together, is that okay?

Is there somewhere I can go to ask all of the millions of questions that are running through my head?

I don't even know where to start processing this.

Please, just write random thoughts...advice....suggestions...

I just need to learn and understand.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

zoo,
my random thoughts............things may be fine, he may be okay, he may be in recovery and working on himself. Because from what I feel, recovery is an ongoing process.

Another thought...alcohol could be a substitution drug. How does he drink? What's his demeanor when he drinks? Do you see alot of narcisstic behavior?

Stand back and analyze, take your time, and take one day at a time, try not to futurize.

My brother is a recovering alcoholic, and drug abuser, he has been sober now, about 20 years. His GF gave him a chance, and they now are married 18 years and have a daughter.

But knowing what I know, from personal experience and the heartache my 2 sons have caused to their Gf's over the years, I would be hesitant to let anyone in my life that I knew at one time abused drugs...but that's just my opinion.

Hugs...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dated someone for 2 years who had 5 years sober when I met him. While dating him that is when he chose to relapse and it's been hell since. I recently broke up with him because of the chaos of addiction and watching him recover.

I'm a therapist and a professional working with addicts and I couldn't do anything to prevent it or help it. It was completely out of my control.

If I had a chance to rewind time and know that the road would have been like it was in the last 2 years, I would have NEVER gotten involved with an ex-addict, recovering addict, etc.

If he's drinking...he's not in recovery and/or a relapse on his drug of choice is lurking around the corner. Just be careful and keep your distance or RUN while you still have the chance. !!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to agree... if you really want to proceed with this, please do so with extreme caution. Very few addicts can drink without eventually relapsing or even developing a whole new drug of choice (even in the alcohol itself).

While there are recovering addicts who stay clean for decades, and he may be one of them, the problem is that oftentimes when a relapse does occur, we don't know it until the deed is already done, so chances are you wouldn't know he was using again until he had fallen back into addiction.

And whatever you do, please do not fall into the trap of thinking that his continued recovery is in any way your responsibility. That's how most of us who have a loved one who is an addict end up ruining our own lives, because then it becomes easy to obsess over this other person and get carried away trying to help them. If he needs support, it needs to come from meetings and therapy.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
work in progress

"After a few weeks, it is still weighing heavy on my heart."

Seems like your gut is trying to tell you something. Listen to it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would never date an alcoholic/addict in recovery or not .

The scars after my marriage of 22 years are deep on me and my children.

but that's just me...
Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry, I would run.. FAST
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At best, drinking alcohol is a slippery slope for a 'recovering' addict. NA clearly states that alcohol is a drug.

Drinking was always a gateway drug for me.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Two years is not very long at all. It sounds like a long time to those of us who have never had an addiction issue. It is not for an addict. I am learning the hard way...was in a very similar situation that I am still dealing with emotionally. The person you are seeing may be ready for the good parts of dating or a relationship; but may not be ready for the bad parts. In other words, he may be ready to embrace the positive emotions of a relationship, but if things go wrong, he may not be able to cope with the negative emotions without relapsing.

Ditto on the drinking...addicts cannot moderate.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of wisdom folks. It is all being carefully thought about.
Even though I hear things I don't like, I am appreciating the brutal honesty.
I will proceed with caution.