Here we go again!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again!

Hi All:

Bet when you saw that caption you thought of my son right? Well, partly but this time he is not the issue here.

You may remember a few months ago my grandaughter, who was pregnant, and already had a 2-year old in toe, was in a program and needed someone to help her with the children. She was a month or so from graduating, and was going to need a place to stay. Mr. Dev and I decided we would help her out and said she could come live with us.

Well, at the last moment, and after graduating from the program, she, along with the CPS worker, decided her maternal grandfather was a better idea. So, we brought all the baby items we bought for baby to the grandfather's house. I was appalled at the place, and couldn't imagine bringing a new baby, let alone a 2-yr. old to live there. I was shocked that CPS would even consider this a Healthy enviroment!

Long story short, she called a few times crying she needed money to get a motel room for her and the children because of the gf acting strange. I didn't give in because I figured more lies.

2 weeks past receive another call saying she couldn't stay at gf's any longer. When I asked why, she said he had made advances towards her. I, of course, didn't believe this and once again dismissed it as 'MORE LIES!"

Last week she called me again crying and asking for help. She told me the gf had once again asked her for sexual favors!!! She was now worried for her daughter!

I contacted CPS worker and she confirmed all of it. She said she was staying in a shelter and had asked the father of the new baby to care for him until she could find permanent shelter. She asked the gmother of the little girl (different father) to care for her daughter.

She never called me again! I was so ashamed of myself for not believe her. I didn't mention any of this to my son yet because I know he will make a visit to the gf, which would not be a good idea at this time. Still on parole for 1-1/2 more years.

Finally got in touch with her and told her how sorry I was. I told her we had decided to let her and the children come here to live with us. She was crying so hard she couldn't speak and had to call me back.

Ok, all was going well, plans were in the works, only now the father of the new baby (5 mo) will not return him. He doesn't work and lives with his mom & Dad. The grandaughter will not leave without her baby so is going to court on Monday to get her baby back.

So, this is my life! I finally finished rescuing my son, now it's the next generation! I have to buy another crib, etc., but Mr. Dev said to wait till she was here then tell her we would buy it, and she would have to pay us back. I said that's terrible, and he said, "are you ready to cripple another child?"

OOPS! Guess she'll have to pay us back. He said, even if you don't use the money, put it away for her. But you have to teach her responsibility!
Gosh he's sure smart for a foreigner huh? Just kidding about the foreigner stuff!

For all of you who are still awake after reading this long, long story, thanks for listening. Will keep you informed.

Incidentally, son is doing ok, working odd jobs, but not as often as I would hope. Has not asked me for money or help, so I butt out. Still arguing on and off with the gf about the 12-yr old being disrespectful to all adults.

Isn't it funny how they hate anyone being disrespectful to them? Must be a prison thing 'cause when you watch movies about prison that's all you hear "respect!" Hmmm? funny, they sure don't practice what they preach do they? Although son has been pretty good! Not perfect! Still feel he falls off the wagon. He only has to send in reports to his parole officer once a month now. This is his fourth one! No one checks in person anymore. HMMM?

Hugs, Devastated :ghug3
Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness all of that is heartbreaking. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

Ok Dev, Your once again stepping up to the plate and taking charge..Listen to Mr. Dev cause he will guide you when you start to fall into codependancy.....I'll bet you can manage that plate without spilling a thing or missing a beat. You have a place in heaven girl. Stay strong and I'm glad you checked in. Hugs, Bonnie
Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, ((Dev)) -I'm sorry all this is going on, hoping she gets the baby back soon and that everything works out. I also hope the gf isn't going to get away with what he's done?!

Good for you and Mr. Dev on helping out and I'm sure she will learn all about responsibility.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-13-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BBD, I don't know that I stepped up to the plate without reservations, so that place in Heaven probably went to someone else. I would, however, like it if God would finally come to the conclusion that I couldn't have been so bad in my last life, that He has to go on throwing responsibilities my way! LOL

Impurrfect, don't know what can be done about the actions of the GF 'cause police said the only thing that she could have done was LEAVE! She is, in the eyes of the law, an adult. They seem to think this is a civil issue, not a police matter. In other words, she did make a report to no avail.

Chino, keep those prayers coming, I have a feeling we're going to need them!

Believe it or not, for years I've been going around saying "I wish I had a baby!" Be careful what you wish for!! LOL

Mr. Dev is actually looking forward to the children. Being from the old country, they're raised with the notion "the more the merrier!" HMMM?

We'll see, can't hurt to try. If she becomes a problem, she's out of here. Babies can stay! I've already arranged this with the CPS worker!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-13-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Awww, Dev, you have such a big heart and this gal is lucky to have you in her life, and her baby is blessed.

I really hope she can get the baby back and can settle in where it's safe soon.

Mr. Dev is wise when he says not to buy anything until they are there. Babies can sleep in a basket until the crib is available.

Keep us posted, I think you'll make a wonderful grandma or great-grandma or Nanna...we'll have to find you an appropriate name!

Big hugs from the great white north (that isn't white anymore).:ghug3
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello "honey" Ann

Missed you so much. Time has a way of passing so fast.

Anyway, as far as what I should be called, how about 'SUCKER!" LOL

This is going to be a real education at this age. I may even be able to lose some weight.

I do feel sorry for the grandaughter because since her mom and my son divorced, she kept the children from all of us. I even went to court several times for grandparent rights. Got them, but the mom kept moving and hiding. In short, this child has never had a chance between dysfunctional parents!

We are truly hoping to give her a chance so that this cycle will finally be broken and her children will not have to go through what she has been through since she was 14 years old. So sad.

How'd you like the way I immediately wanted to do everything possible to make her comfortable?? Mr. Dev says NO, teach her, make her responsible.

This is going to be lots of fun! YIPES!

All I know is when I told her she could come here with the babies she cried so hard she had to call me back. Poor thing! The CPS worker said we are the only family she has that is not dysfunctional! I believe that!

Incidentally, congratulations on the Canadian Hockey win! I do think I said that to you before though. If I did, chaulk it up to yet another senior moment!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful rca

((((((devastated)))))))

you and your family are in my prayers
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

How'd you like the way I immediately wanted to do everything possible to make her comfortable?? Mr. Dev says NO, teach her, make her responsible.
I think you and Mr. Dev aren't so far apart in your thinking. First she and the baby need to get to someplace safe and loving...that would be your house. THEN she can work on her next move with a clear mind and support in place. This is where she gets to learn from your experience and example Dev. Maybe take her to a meeting or three, so she can have other live support available as she deals with her past and moves on to her future.

Set your boundaries and let her set her recovery plan in place.

It can only be a good thing, yes?

Ohhhh, yikes, almost forgot...you CAN make sure she and the precious baby have quality sheets! High thread count is nice but bamboo is even better, like a little bit of heaven.

It's the least a Grand-nanny-sucker can do.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ann you are wise beyond your years! LOL

Seriously, she will be going 5 days a week to outpatient program. I don't know how much longer she has to do that, but it was part of her court-ordered program. Son, her father, found a place here that will pick her up and take her home.

We totally agree with what you're saying and that is, once she has a safe enviroment, without worrying were the next meal is coming from, she may make some big strides.

She has been on her own since she was 15. She never finished school, and has learning disabilities. My son didn't finish school either. I remember taking him to school, actually walking in with him to class. The minute I would leave, so would he! I didn't even know about it until they called and said he was failing 11th grade. Great!

The difference between J and the daughter is he is too smart. He read alot and spelling is excellent. Math was never a problem with him either. That's what is so sad about his case, he is so capable, never has to struggle, but won't bother! He has both GED and HS diploma both earned in jail/prison! Makes a mom so proud!!

Anyway, I was thinking perhaps after she is finished with her program, she can get started on studying for GED or high school diploma. From there perhaps she can get a little job, which would be great for her self-esteem. We will help her save and teach her life skills.

Just pray she listens. Hope she doesn't do what her father did!!! He even told her she was lucky to have us. Guess so, we're the only stable people in her life.

She is in such a mess. Tomorrow she will try and get the baby back from the father and, also, her clothes from a girlfriend that refuses to give her back her things until she pays her $100. Guess she was staying with the girl for a couple of days with the promise of paying her. Didn't really ask about that problem. Figure I don't need to know. If she gets them fine, if she doesn't, oh well.

All we can do is try and pray she is receptive to our ideas.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hi Dev. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through so much, but I'm so glad that your grand-daughter has someone as loving as you to turn to. I hope she is able to get the baby back, so they can all be together in a stable environment. Don't forget to take care of yourself. You have to take every opportunity to pamper yourself, in order to stay well through all of this. You are special and I'll be thinking of you.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Nina Kay:

Thank you for thinking we're special. Do you think that's what God is thinking too, and this is why He thought "OH, RIGHT, GREAT IDEA!" Hmmmm?

He has wayyyy too much confidence in us! I hope it turns out well, I really do. We are use to such quiet, it's going to be a little different with babies now; however, they are fun aren't they?

Oh, take care of myself, you betcha!

Nice hearing from you, hope all is well at your home.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Dev))

I hear that Sister Theresa is quoted as saying "God never gives us more than we can handle - I just wish He didn't trust me so much"

Apparently God knows He can trust you & Mr. Dev quite well to work together as a team to help this wonderful young woman with these two precious children - to give them the opportunity to embrace a healthy and better life.

Prayers that all will work out calmly and peacefully soon!

Hang in there Honey - You made of tough stuff!!!
Many have drawn strength, courage and wisdom from you (one of those would be ME)
Thanks and PINK HUGS to you!!!
Rita
Old 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Japic05

How nice was that??? Thank you.

Now about "drawing strength, courage and wisdom" from me....hmmmm? Are you sure it was me???

Guess you weren't around when I fell to pieces (good song title, don't you think) when my darling son was in prison and was suffering so much because the thread count on his pillow case was so poor! Thank God for Ann and the rest, to calm me down. I should have posted first to get suggestions as to what to do, instead of calling the warden immediately! Oh well, live and learn right? LOL

I do hope we can make a difference in the lives of the children at least! Poor babies need a chance, and we are their only hope.

Thanks again for your support

Hugs, Devastated
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Take a bow Dev (but watch your back) because you really have been a trooper through everything.

Sure we had to drag you kicking and screaming sometimes, but that's only because you had your heels dug into the mud. I know all about that because I was about as dug in as you get before I surrendered to recovery.

I remember you used to PM me and ask "So, how do you DO this" and I remember thinking "Lordy, she's asking me? Please God, help me make something up quick before she gets away!"

I think maybe all that was preparing you for today, for the blessings that are coming your way. We maybe aren't spring chickens anymore, Dev, but we're wiser for the wear and don't crush like we used to.

You inspire me too, and you make me laugh when I really really need to laugh. I love you dear friend, and those babies are so lucky to have you to lean on.

Big Hugs from one old chick to another.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"Lordy, she's asking me? Please God, help me make something up quick before she gets away!"

I love that line, Ann ~ it's terrific.

And yes, Dev, you are an inspiration to many. Sorry you are having to meet another challenge; but I know you will rise to the occasion. Hugs
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ann that is so funny!

Even though we both arrived here in 2002, you were light years ahead of me in "catching on!" I just was too hysterical all the time.

Your advice was always great! The minute you told me things would work out, I felt better. For instance, remember the time when my son told me he was going to move into his storage unit, and how hysterical I became because I thought how would he breath?

Anyway, my fondest memories back then were of the "prison wedding" that never did take place, even though the "prison CODIE Bus" was ready to go.

Speaking of that, I never did have the nerve to tell you I thought your prison bridesmaid dress was a little "over kill!" Sorry, but to tell you the truth I wouldn't doubt it if that is why the wedding was called off! I recently found the photo of you which I'm posting here (I hope).

In short, you've been a great mentor, even if you just pulled that advice out of the air! GOOD JOB! Although I was teetering on the edge in those days, you pulled me back to safety! Thank you for being Ann! If it doesn't come out, perhaps you have that photo to share with the group! LOL

Here's that photo:

Hugs, Devastated

Last edited by Ann; 03-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ISN'T IT A GREAT PHOTO??? lol
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I no longer had the photo, but I had a bracket that you missed, lol, and inserted it and....voila!

And about the prison dress remark, I just have this to say..."When it comes to prison wedding dresses, there is no such thing as overkill!!" You can quote me on that

I believe these were the "mother of the prison bride" shoes you were going to wear, yes?

I think one of the best parts of recovery is when we learn to laugh at ourselves, especially when we haven't laughed at anything in a very long time.

Your son was going to live in a storage unit and my son stole my hormones (thinking they were Tylanol 3s) and thought he would grow breasts because I told him he would.

Life is good now that we aren't living our kids' lives anymore.

Hugs
Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Dev

I do remember reading the posts about your son in prison - which helped me deal with my daughter being in prison for Christmas, away from her 3 children - me not being able to see those 3 precious grandchildren - (ages 5, 2 & 4 months old). I remember if these wonderful women can get thru it so can I.

I remember calling the jail and asking if they had special visitation for Christmas day and the deputy answering the phone - kinda chuckling when he answer "No, I don't think so"

I felt stupid after calling - then I read about the another things my SR Family had asked and I thought - I'm not stupid - I'm just a mom who is trying to do the best she can, dealing with her adult child in jail.

It gave me the courage to go the week after Christmas and talk to her on that nasty black phone thru that plexiglass window - it gave me the courage to hold back my tears thru the entire visit, to smile, laugh and give HER encouargement - and then when I made it to my vehicle - then I allowed myself to bawl like a baby.

YES, my sweet friend - you and all the other Moms encouraged me more than you will ever know!!

HUGS,
Rita