At Home Drug Tests

Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question At Home Drug Tests

I'm new here and very curious about these at home drug tests. I saw them at the store one day but didn't buy it because I knew it would be a waste of money because my husband was very actively taking. Well, now he has been out of the house for alittle over a week and he is of course claiming he is clean. I of course, don't believe it. So, if I was to buy one of these to keep for the right time.....is it an instant test? Does it show what they are taking? His drug of choice is pain pills....opiates. How long do they have to be "clean" before the test shows clean? I want to think opiates leave your system fast?? He cries and begs that he is clean and wants to come home which is what they do and my mind wavers back and forth because that's what we do. This would be a great thing to pop out at just the right moment and could probably end an argument then and there. What has been your experience with using these or is it just wrong to do? He says he has no other way to prove he is clean besides his word, which means nothing to me...so is this an answer?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I have never used them and I doubt I ever would.. Some would disagree but I don't believe in forcing someone to take a test to prove to me that they are clean, not when their actions are telling me loud and clear the truth. These drug tests are not always accurate and addicts have a way of even getting around them..

Look at this actions and listion to your gut.. these are the two things that I rely on the most.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerect View Post
Look at this actions and listion to your gut.. these are the two things that I rely on the most.

I know, after I posted this I went on to do some housework and starting thinking about it. My gut already knows and it is rarely wrong. I guess for one it would be nice to end the argument before it begins but that is probably just a fantasy because he loves to argue. Then we will be arguing about his rights and such. Also, in the back of my mind, I still want him to be like "ok" and a test come out clean so I can feel some shimmer of hope. Boy, do I live in a fantasy world!

I've got to stop hanging on to the person he was when he was sober. That person is hidden deep and I may never have him back.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to be a purchaser of such drugs online, much cheaper if u buy in bulk LOL, however when he did test positive ihe always an excuse, he took something over the counter, it was from vitamins, or the test was just plain inaccurate etc. and AFTER he became sober, he admitting to using a flush product that would cause him to test negative even when he was high. It took me awhile to realize that it did not matter if he tested positive or not, I was trying to control the situation instead of waiting for his actions to confirm or deny what he was saying. I totally understand why anyone would want to go this route because I hate to be lied to, but it eventually became another a co-dependent obsession for me much like checking his phone and searching his truck.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i never tested, i agree with sunnygirl, it would have only end up with a whole other argument, bunch of lies or obsession for me. my ah had to take manditory test(legal issues) and he would always make sure he was clean when he needed to be but soon after the test, he'd go right back to using. for me, his action carried more proof than testing.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with what was said above. To me, home drug tests serve no useful purpose. They can be faked, excuses can be presented, and even if they test clean that doesn't mean they will be clean one hour from now.

They are degrading to the person insisting upon them, and degrading to the person being tested.

We know what we know, without the tests. Their actions and our instincts tell us more than any drug test ever could.

Good luck to both of you.

Hugs