What to do...

Old 10-28-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
llm

What to do...

Hi everyone, this is only my second post. I've been reading other peoples posts. They are helpful. We found out about 3 1/2 wks ago our 22 year old son is a heroin addict, shooting it. We approached him ... calmly he agreed to outpatient treatment he said he wanted help, never denied his use. He has been going to get his methadone every morning since. He is still working. He owes us a bit of money and hasn't had "extra" money to pay us back. His loan payment is late again (I'm co-signor). I know he is still using. I can't help but look in his room when he leaves the house. I'm finding fresh packets on a regular basis. I've talked to the people at the clinic, because he is an "adult" they can't give me specifics... but they tell me they ramp up the dose of methadone until they don't have to use any more and I shouldn't be concerned that he is still using. Does anyone have experience with this? Obviously I don't really believe anything he tells me. Another question, my son won't go to NA, he told me you can't go to NA if you are methadone. Again I don't believe him, but does anyone have knowledge about this??
Thanks, a worried mom!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by llm View Post
His loan payment is late again (I'm co-signor).!
I'm not too familiar with most of what you are asking--- some of the parents here are far better equipped to answer you, however, I am in finance.

Make sure you pay this--- regardless if you are 'just a co-signer' it effects your credit EQUALLY!

A slow-pay loan can seriously drive down your credit. It's signed for, nothing you can do about it now..... just make sure it's paid for your own credit standing.

Hope things get better for you.
Love,
cess
Old 10-28-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are going through this...I wish I could help you. You are in my prayers.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a 19 yr old AS. He is also a H addict.We have been going thru this nightmare for over 2 years... Sorry to say...It will probably get way worse before it gets better.
I finally had to kick my son out this past monday...
Do you go with him to the clinic? Do you see him get his dose? My son was on suboxone...and unless I sat there and watched him take his dose...he would sell the pill to get his high.
They will ONLY quit when they are ready. No amount of pleading/begging/ or bribing will help them. Believe me...We have tried EVERYTHING!
My advice...go with your gut...If you think he's using...he is. My instinct has always been right...
Anyone is welcome at AA/NA meetings...my son went after his 1st rehab stint and he was on suboxone...
Keep checking in...This forum has literally saved my sanity!
Here's hoping to see our sons knitting one day! (hehehe)
Teresa
Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

first, I have to agree with Cess, as I used to work in finance. (as a collector for a major auto company) If you co-signed, it is your contract just as much as the buyers.

second, I'd go with my gut feeling, it's usually right. It's sounds like it's time for you to set some boundaries (ie if you are using you can't live in my home) Be ready to stand by your boundaries. Say what you mean, mean what you say, and don't say it meanly.

Hugs from another mom.
Chris

don't know if you are going to alanon/naranon meetings, however they saved my life. SR support is wonderful, f2f support is invaluable, also.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
llm

Here is to knitting for our sons!!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NAIOU

This is my experience with methadone. I have been on methadone 2 times for 2 years each time. I haven't been on methadone for 10 years now. At higher doses methadone will block the effects of other opiates. Your son is either not dosing and using H or he is dosing and trying to get high which will not happen. The only requirement for membership to NA is a desire to not use. There are quite a few people on methadone that go to NA. Hope this helps. Good luck to you and your son.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by logo View Post
This is my experience with methadone. I have been on methadone 2 times for 2 years each time. I haven't been on methadone for 10 years now. At higher doses methadone will block the effects of other opiates. Your son is either not dosing and using H or he is dosing and trying to get high which will not happen. The only requirement for membership to NA is a desire to not use. There are quite a few people on methadone that go to NA. Hope this helps. Good luck to you and your son.
For the benefit of the OP....

Same goes for Suboxone which is easy to trade for DOC.

It's not uncommon for someone on Methadone maintenance or subs to swap one addicton for another because they are not ready to live life on life's terms.....which is where a recovery program may help. Recovery programs are tools, not cures.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Just to clarify for llm:

"OP" is Original Poster (llm)
"DOC" is Drug Of Choice
Old 10-30-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by llm View Post
I'm finding fresh packets on a regular basis.
Here's your confirmation here. There shouldn't be any doubts. Believe what is in front of you rather than what you would like (him not using).

I've talked to the people at the clinic, because he is an "adult" they can't give me specifics... but they tell me they ramp up the dose of methadone until they don't have to use any more and I shouldn't be concerned that he is still using. Does anyone have experience with this?
They may amp up the dose as it blocks the feeling of Heroin.. however, if he is using Heroin while on the Methadone, he's playing Russian Roulette as he will use more Heroin on top of the Methadone to feel the effects. At the very least, encourage him to get educated about Methadone. Also, like OTL said, he could be cheeking the Methadone and trading it for his DOC.

Obviously I don't really believe anything he tells me.
And you shouldn't/ An active addict should never be trusted.

Another question, my son won't go to NA, he told me you can't go to NA if you are methadone.
Complete and total BS!! There are some home groups that believe that if you are on ANY substances then you aren't necessarily clean. However, there are some groups that don't believe that. It's just a matter of him finding THAT group that will accept him while taking Methadone. Also, he can chose to not disclose that in a NA meeting and get what he needs out of it.

Again I don't believe him, but does anyone have knowledge about this??
Thanks, a worried mom!
My experiences with dealing with my RABF and his DOC being Heroin IV, the only success he had was going into rehab and now in a halfway house/transitional living. He needed that structure as Heroin is a powerful drug that robs you of the willpower to get off of it. As long as he stays around the same people, places and things... he will continue to use.

Keep coming here.... there is lots of support here for you. It's okay to worry but when it's affecting your well being... then you will need support for yourself. Keep :praying. That's all we can do for our addicts.