bottom line: i need advice.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bottom line: i need advice.

so two nights ago i woke up in a cold sweat after having a nightmare that i walked in on my boyfriend after he OD'd and died. yesterday i was at my parents house visiting and i got a call from my boyfriends mother saying that she walked in on her son getting ready to shoot up in the bathroom. now this is my first time writing on this site, so you should know that my boyfriend has three artificial valves in his heart from a surgery he had last year because of long term drug use. for a month the doctors told his family that they didnt know if he was going to live or die. i started dating my boyfriend in january when he was heroin free. after the phone call i immediately called his older friend whose son was a heroin addict. we went over to their house to find his mother in the driveway crying and his clothes and belongings beside her. after all of us sitting down and talking for hours he got honest with us and broke down. i still dont know how to handle this situation. he doesnt have health insurance anymore. besides building a strong support system for him i dont know what else to do.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi My Star,
Welcome to SR. Please read the stickies at the top of the threads. There is some useful information there.

Is your BF willing to get treatment? If so, there are a number of government funded programs that will help him. He can start by contacting the Salvation Army.

First, let me say that this situation is difficult for all involved, however, HE only HE will be able to get himself into treatment. If he is forced or bribed, etc., etc., then he isn't ready to get clean nor is HE ready to make the commitment to stay clean.

Second, where does he live? Who is supporting him? How old is he? I'm sure an adult who should be, at his age, able to care for himself in some capacity. I understand he has medical issues but they do not sound like they have placed limitations on him. He's functional enough to go out and get his Heroin. Wherever this support is coming from (family allowing him to remain in the home knowing he is actively using) is a great set up for the addict. It enables him to keep using w/o feeling any consequences.

Please read around... there is a lot of information that will help you. Keep coming here...we'll help you work through it.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, welcome. sorry that you had to be here but so glad you are. there really is nothing you can do to help him other you helping yourself by not allowing him to take you down with him. i agree salvation army is a good place to start for him.

read as much as you can about addiction and co dependancy. there is a lot of info at the top of the forum page. alanon and naranon are f2f support groups for family members. maybe you search your area and begin attending.

unless he's allowed to suffer the consequences of his own actions, he will be less likely to seek help for himself. take care of you and allow him the opportunity to do the same. it may be what it takes to help him save himself from himself. you and yours are in my prayers