Left Detox Yesterday

Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Left Detox Yesterday

Step-son was released from detox center yesterday at about 3pm (a little sooner than we had anticipated). His mom and step-dad picked him up and took him to their house. We've spoken to them several times since, and he seems to be doing well. He's very tired, but has a pretty good attitude.

They went to his first AA meeting with him last night. He would like to try an NA meeting to see the difference...I volunteered to do that tomorrow. My husband's on his way to pick him up right now to bring him over to our house. He'd like to watch the Ohio State game with his dad. He'll be spending the night here, too.

I'm relieved after talking with his mom that he seems to be in good spirits. We're still a little nervous to see him for the first time, but I think it will be ok - we know to keep our guard up.

Let me just say that all of you are wonderful. I only hope that someday I can help a newbie like all of you are helping me.

I'll keep you posted.

Karen
Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope this is his time. Enjoy your evening with him!
Old 09-12-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sounds like a situation where "cautious optimism"would be appropriate. meetings are essential for him now. Does he have his own transportation? If not (too young?) encourage him to get phone numbers at the NA meeting. It is protocal in NA to send around a meeting list for a newcomer on which other men will write their phone numbers. Once he has the phone numbers of other members, it becomes his responsiblity to call them and ask for a ride to a meeting.