Is this a trap being setup?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this a trap being setup?

Something is going on and I don't know what it is. My AF offered to pay for my daughter to take guitar lessons. She wanted to take them, so my father found someone who teaches at his home. I take her every Monday and sit there while he teaches her. Something seemed odd. He mentioned coming to see a band in the neighborhood where I live, but he wouldn't be able to pay attention to the band because he has his son to watch. I just listened, then asked to use his bathroom. I saw a Narcotics Anonymous book on the back of his toilet. My father just asked me if I stay the whole time my daughter is taking her lesson. I told him yes. I don't know if I am being paranoid, but something isn't right. Can any of you see something I am not seeing? I feel like I am being setup for something, but I'm not sure what.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So someone in the house is reading the NA book in the john.

Is this guy a good teacher?
Does your daughter enjoy her lessons?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From past experience, it doesn't matter if someone is good in certain capacities. My grandmother was a good grandmother until I found out she was stealing my money. I sensed something was going on, but couldn't figure it out until I detached. I am getting this same feeling with this situation. I could make light of this situation, but doing so has only landed me in hot water.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you feel something isn't right, then trust your gut.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you should proceed with caution. Any mother would. I think you are uneasy because your father didnt mention that the person he found was in recovery. If you knew that then the situation would be better.

You didnt know and had to find out. So there could be two reasons here;
Either he is trying to give this guy purpose because he can teach how to play guitar or there is something else. Please explain the band thing and why he has to watch his son??
Old 09-12-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't understand why he even mentioned the band and not being able to watch because of his son. It felt like he was fishing for me to babysit. I could be wrong, but I didn't offer. It's not my responsibility.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i agree with go with your gut. if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it might just be a duck. imo, it don't HAVE to be about him being in recovey, it could be your mother instinct kicking in.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful rca

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Just to be safe, I think I would check the sex offender registry in your state. And, the only reason I say that is that your father asked if you stay the whole time...that makes me a little uncomfy.
my thoughts too.

not trying to scare you but back in mid 1980's.the days of the missing and murdered kids of atlanta, my cousin was one of those who were abducted & murdered, believe to have been someone he knew who was teaching him music, someone who he could have willingly got in the car with simply because he thought he knew him.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My goodness, what Teke and cynical one wrote also rand alarm bells in my head!! Just check out whether he has been charged for sex offending!!!

Addicts can have several addictions. My recovering partner had alcohol, drugs and paying prostitutes for oral sex.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree that if your gut is telling you something is wrong, then you should follow your instincts. By all means check out the sex offender website.

On the other hand, he apparently IS trying to get his life back together and is in recovery. Maybe give him a break?

Be more direct with your AF and ask him all that he knows about this guy!! Ask the guitar teacher himself! If he is truly working his program he will understand your concerns and willing to be honest about his history.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

google the guy's name. This is how I found our my X-husband - my AD's bio. dad- is alive and well and on the Sex Offender Registry in his state!!! Yup, true story. But, if you find nothing, stay for the entire piano lesson anyway ('cause you'll worry anyway if you don't) and (like outto lunch said) if your child is happy with the lessons, don't look a gift piano lesson in the mouth. We addicts in recovery are really OK people (but the worst of the worst when using). Is your dad using or in recovery at this time? just curious.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AF no recovery for him and he is still using. I've been too trusting in the past, so I am being very cautious.