Doing drugs while locked up.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing drugs while locked up.

In a recent thread the poster said:

he IS NOT DOING DRUGS while incarcerated
In my limited experience, this just is not true. It is a lot tougher, to be sure, and you must have some money, but I know lots of people who got drugs and booze while locked up. The guards themselves were the suppliers.

I don't mean to say this just to pop your bubble, so to speak, but there are a lot of loved ones of addicts that seem to breathe a sigh of relief when their A gets locked up, "at least he's not using".

What are the experiences of others out there? Have you addict gotten hold of drugs and booze while locked up? Anyone else's experience? I just am curious if my experience is the exception and not the rule.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This particular inmate has no money.....he has been sleeping in his car, as far as we know.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My EXAH was in prison in Indiana from 2003 to 2006. He had been a long time drug abuser at that point. He said it was it was easier to get/use drugs in prison than it is on the street. AND, they made their own liquor (vodka, I think) by steeling sugar from the kitchen. FIFTY POUNDS OF SUGAR and no consequences (shaking my head in disbelief). However, when he was in the county jail in Oklahoma for 3 weeks, he had zero access to drugs or alcohol. So, I think it depends on the prison, jail, and/or state. IMHO.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was in county jail for a month, there was NO access to drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes. People who had been there for months said that "nothing gets in this place". Never made it to prison...yet. I intend to keep it that way, thank you very much.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
In a recent thread the poster said:

What are the experiences of others out there? Have you addict gotten hold of drugs and booze while locked up? Anyone else's experience? I just am curious if my experience is the exception and not the rule.
I use to work as a therapist in a prison and seeing it first hand, this is true. The inmates ferment the fruit they get to make alcohol and the guards bring in alcohol along with drugs. Some female prisoners have been caught having sexual relationships with the inmates and some inmates were sent to medical for newly diagnosed cases of STD's either contracted from another inmate and/or guard. It's sickening but it's all true.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tend to think city and county jails are a lot better than prisons in this regard. Prisons are not safe at all.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
When I was in county jail for a month, there was NO access to drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes.

Amy
My BF just got out of county and it's there also. It doesn't come through as much as in a prison because the inmates come and go in the county thus not creating much of a problem for the guards. It's usually in the prisons where inmates have significant amount of time they have more access. The guards use drugs/alcohol/sex, etc. as a way to bargain for safety and/or making their jobs easier by taking care of others.

This is why I left the prison system. I wasn't down with exchanging myself in and/or bringing in illegal substances just to get through the day. Screw that... LOL. Not literally. LOL.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Spent limited time in Tent City... Arpio's Masterpiece. Saves taxpayers money. I honestly think he got the setup for the thing right. During my stay there (One day, approx 12 hrs of "processing" in various cells; as well as 12 hrs in the actual City) I could smell MJ wafting out from other tents. Cigs could easily be purchased from from those with longer sentences. Apparently there was a nightly drop where "supplies" were throw over one of tent city's walls. All the before mentioned were of course against policy and required some level of complicity from the guards (who are actually sub-contracted employees with minimal training making 10 bucks an hour). I think what I got out of it is that an addict who wants a fix can get one anywhere.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I don't mean to say this just to pop your bubble, so to speak, but there are a lot of loved ones of addicts that seem to breathe a sigh of relief when their A gets locked up, "at least he's not using".

Dgillz, we're not here on "Friends and Family" to discuss YOUR drug use in prison. Sorry to sound harsh, but that's just not what this forum is all about. We are here to support each other as friends and families of addicts.

Whether our loved ones can or cannot get drugs in jail/prison will vary from area to area and jail/prison to jail/prison. I know I was relieved when my son went to jail because even if he could get drugs there, it was unlikely that he would go on a two week run of staying high and messing with all the wrong people in places where all the wrong people could just make him "disappear".

I don't think this topic is appropriate in this forum. We're not here to scare those with loved ones in prison, we're here to support OUR recovery and keeping our balance whether our addicts are clean or not.

Ann