She is on trial on drug dealing charges

Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

She is on trial on drug dealing charges

My addicted friend who I havent seen or talked to in 4 months is going on trial this thursday on 2 felony drug dealing charges and 1 misdemeanor possession of prescription drugs without a prescription drug charges. If convicted on all charges she is looking at 11 years manditory minimum sentence. On one hand I feel very bad for her and want to show some type of support for her. On the other hand I'm thinking "Dumb Ass!!!"

So the big question is do I show her some support or not? I mean, we are not friends anymore but that doesn't mean I don't still care what happens to her. The bitch about the whole thing is she has a 5 year old daughter that is going to be effected by all this. On one hand this is all her doing and has to be held accountable for her actions. On the other hand, I would hate to see her and her daughters life totally ruined.

BTW her drug dealer cousin and addict bf were arrested with her. Both of them are only facing misdemeanor possession charges. My guess is she was being the mule for her cousin or holing for all 3 of them when they got pulled over and arrested. She is not a dealer, but she got caught with it and not she is looking at 11 years. Just because she was hanging out with those two idiots. I tried to warn her about them but she didn't want to hear it and I ended up being the a-hole because of it.

So back to my question, do I send words of support and encouragement to her for her trial date or not?

I havent really thought about her for months but now as the trail date gets close I find myself thinking about her more and more. I obviously don't support her drug use or the people she hangs out with and what they do, but I do still care about her and don't want to see her go to jail.

So what do I do? Any suggestions on how to decide which is the best course of action for me at this time?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So what do I do? Any suggestions on how to decide which is the best course of action for me at this time?
Nurture friendships that do appreciate you and what you have to offer. Healthy relationships aren't one sided ~ let her go to deal with her own consequences.....you can care from a distance if you must (without actually talking to her), but even this little bit has drawn you back into some of the insanity. Moving on is not a bad thing.

As for her daughter, I feel for her and hope the best. Yet, considering the life she has now, with drugs, drug dealers, and a mom in jail, getting her away from that environment doesn't seem entirely bad and might help her in the long run.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My thoughts are that this may be one of God's strangely wrapped gifts. It may be what she needs to turn her life around. If she has a fairly clean criminal history, they may mandate treatment and go easier on her. If not, this may still just save her life. And I agree that as sad as it is for the child, she will be safer anyplace else than with an active addict.

I think I might send her a note and keep her in my prayers, then let go and hold no expectations for a response. She is in your thoughts and a kind word may just be what she needs right now.

Addiction affects so many, and sadly the path for an active addicts isn't pretty. I will keep you and this person in my prayers too, that somehow some good may come from all of this.

Hugs